Trying to Format with DLA, and it keeps asking for the Administrator?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RonCam

Posts and question moved from All Other Software on recommendation of Senior Member BP936:

I have two questions...
and more importantly...

2. When trying to format a CD, a pop-up appears that says "Your user account settings will not allow you to perform this operation. You must be designated as a computer administrator to format this disc. Consult your system administrator or the Windows Help file for information on changing your user account." I am the only user on this computer plus I am already the "computer administrator. I can't find anywhere to change any settings for burning discs on my user account either. Help!

2: This seems to be a "bug" (undocumented feature?) in the DLA software. That's why I came to this form, to see, after nearly two months, if the experts have come across this, but I see no replies. :rolleyes: [Likely, my fault, for continuing the thread in the wrong forum!]

When I'm running as Administrator, and then try to reformat a disc already in use, my DLA installation tells me, also, that I'm not the Administrator and refuses to proceed. [Note, the disc must be in use and previously formatted. Unformatted discs work as expected.]

Perhaps one of the moderators could jump in here, if none of the other forum members reply? Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Anyone have a remedy? Is it a bug in DLA, or can something be set/reset on the OS so DLA will respond as expected?:confused:

I would like this function to work, because at this point, DLA is supposed to do a special survey of any weak spots on the disc and map them to prevent data loss. Optical discs need all the help they can get.:D

The only work-around I've found is to fire-up your regular optical disc burning program, erase the disc (full erase, I suppose, for good measure), mount the disc and then DLA sees it as a blank disc and asks if you want to format it and obviously "Yes" should be the response.

System Info:
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
Roxio Sonic DLA 5.2.0
Samsung SH-S182M_SB06
Mount Rainier compatibility: Yes
All comments relate to DLA operation with -MRW formatted discs.

If any other forum members can answer point number 2, most appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online