Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to Get a Video Feed, Laptop Screen Broken....

890 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sithtiger 
#1 ·
Ok, so I received an older laptop from someone, a Gateway NE56R43u. So the screen is broken....a big crack in it, can't see anything. It needs to be replaced and I plan on doing so when I get money, but until then I'm trying to see if anything else is damaged. I'm using an external monitor, but it only works when I get into Windows. I can't get a picture in DOS or even get into the BIOS. So when Windows comes up, I can see everything...through the external monitor that is. I went to upgrade it to Windows 10 and everything seemed fine, but it's either stuck on something or it's a part where it's not in Windows yet and needs some sort of manual input, but I can't see anything. The external monitor isn't showing anything. The monitor I'm using is an old Lite-On LCD. I'm using a VGA input. Again, works in Windows, but it's stuck and I can't see anything. Any ideas on how to get it back to where I can see it again? Thanks.

#3 ·
Yeah, it does. The monitor I was using didn't have HDMI too old, but mine does, so I plugged it into my LED monitor, but got the same response. That's weird that you can't see your BIOS or UEFI until it boots to Windows. I know if I had left Win 8.1 on, I could have used it until I got a screen replacement, but I wanted to put Windows 10 on for two reasons. One, 10 is faster and better (IMO) than 8.1 and I just wanted to start from scratch because I believe it had some viruses on it and I wanted to make sure there were no other hardware issues aside from the broken screen. I didn't want to spend hours scanning for viruses with various programs.

I'm pretty sure nothing else is wrong, it's just something, maybe an error or something needs to input in order to finish the install, but I can't see anything because it's not in Windows yet. I even tried a Linux DVD to see if it worked Linux, but I couldn't tell what to do since I couldn't see anything either in that. I think once I get the display fixed, it will be an easy fix, but won't know anything for sure until I replace that display.

Since the HDMI didn't work with my monitor, trying a TV shouldn't work either, but I've learned that working with computers over the years, sometimes things that shouldn't work do sometimes, so thanks for that. I'll give that a shot with the TV. That could work. If I get a picture and if 10 is screwed up, I'll just try installing 10 again and if it doesn't like 10 for some odd reason, I'll just go back to 8.1. The main problem is just trying to see what's happening. Working blind sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.