trying to get cdrom to work!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jim Wulf

i have an ancient pack bell pc with a 120 MHz cpu and 24MB ram. i fdisked and formatted it and is has command.com in the C: directory. I typed D: and it CAN'T find the cdrom. i downloaded a win98se start disk with MSCDEX.EXE on it and i copied it to C:. I don't have an install disk for the cd drive but i went to DriverGuide.com and downloaded the drivers for this specific drive, installed them on a floppy, put the floppy in that pc and it shows all the files on it but how do u install them to have the pc find the cd drive?
thanx, jim

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Jim, on the floppy that you made, there should be a setup.exe or install.bat file for the cdrom drivers.

At an a: prompt, type

dir
and press enter
and you'll see the files scroll by and be able to tell which it is.

Whatever it is type either

setup

or

install

and press enter.

You should also be prompted to allow changes to autoexec.bat and/or config.sys. Say yes to whatever it wants to do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online