1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to get cdrom to work!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim Wulf, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Wulf

Jim Wulf Thread Starter

i have an ancient pack bell pc with a 120 MHz cpu and 24MB ram. i fdisked and formatted it and is has command.com in the C: directory. I typed D: and it CAN'T find the cdrom. i downloaded a win98se start disk with MSCDEX.EXE on it and i copied it to C:. I don't have an install disk for the cd drive but i went to DriverGuide.com and downloaded the drivers for this specific drive, installed them on a floppy, put the floppy in that pc and it shows all the files on it but how do u install them to have the pc find the cd drive?
    thanx, jim

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Jim, on the floppy that you made, there should be a setup.exe or install.bat file for the cdrom drivers.

At an a: prompt, type

dir
    and press enter
    and you'll see the files scroll by and be able to tell which it is.

Whatever it is type either

setup

or

install

and press enter.

You should also be prompted to allow changes to autoexec.bat and/or config.sys. Say yes to whatever it wants to do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice