1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to get my icons back after system restore

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by beaglehound, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beaglehound

beaglehound Thread Starter

To Moderator

This you will find this information posted on another forum please do not close the topic here. I accidentally posted the issue on the wrong forum and have requested the other question to be removed. Remove that one, not this one. TIA

Here's my question everyone:

I successfully did a system restore [Vista] EXCEPT my desktop icons have all disappeared. There are only two remaining:

My Computer
    Recycle Bin

I had several icons to different websites that used as shortcuts. Any ideas on how to get them back? I've rebooted my system a couple of times already but change.

Thanks
    Beaglehound

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Don't know if this can be tried with Vista but. Open task manager>applications>new task and type explorer.exe

3. beaglehound

Thanks Bill. I tried typing in just "explorer" but without success. Fortunately I had them backed up on disc so I just reloaded them. I'm more interested in knowing why restore did not restore them.

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

If I had given you the correct instructions it may have worked. Should have typee explorer.exe

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It won't be a problem with explorer.exe not running, otherwise computer and recycle bin wouldn't appear.

Could you clarify what you mean by System Restore? There is a program within Windows by that name, but it explicitely promises that it doesn't affect your personal files. I'm not saying it can't be responsible, but there are a number of other procedures that people sometimes call "system restore", so it's worth checking exactly what you did.

Also, 1) what prompted you to do the restore and 2) do you get any other error messages or see any other problems?

If system restore has changed your user account, there may still be a desktop folder with your shortcuts somewhere else on the machine.

If the shortcuts have been deleted you may get them back with file recovery software.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Secure_Deletion_and_File_Recovery

6. beaglehound

Ent~

The system restore I used is accessed by:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

It lets me restore the system to an earlier date. I did this because right now my Windows Update feature is not working and will not check for updates. I've narrowed it down to the Software Licensing service stopping each time Windows Updates checks for updates. I've not been able to check for updates since Dec 10 so I figured if I restored to a date before this issue maybe the problem would resolve itself. It hasn't. I restored back to December 15. That's as far as I could go.

I've some of this info on another thread if you want the link. [topic title] for more details. Right now I'm waiting for Microsoft to get back to me.

Bottom line: Why is Software Licensing service stopping every time Windows Updates tries to check for updates?

7. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The second thread is here
    You work in a single thread, otherwise helpers won't know the full details of the advice you've been given and won't be able to help as well as they normally would. For example after doing a system restore, you might have reset a number of changes that Phantom010 and the others think you've made. That's why moderators don't like double posting. I've asked a moderator to merge these two.

Unless you did the system restore from safe mode, a restore point will have been created before you ran system restore. The simplest thing to try is another restore to that most recent point.

8. beaglehound

I created a new thread only to find out why the icons did not come back after a system restore. I considered the restore/missing icons a completely separate topic. It was not my intention of double post. That's why I made no mention of the Update issue in this thread until you asked why I did the restore. Hope that makes sense.

If these can be merged that would be fine.

9. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I understand that. I'm not saying it is wrong, merely that it can be unhelpful to take advice from multiple parties who don't know what other groups are doing. Whether the threads are merged is the moderator's decision.

Anyway, have you had any luck restoring back? Since the system restore hasn't had the desired result, I would be inclined to try that first.

10. beaglehound

The system restore was "successful" except for the website icons I had on the desktop. I'd backed those up on cd so I was able to just put them back. I was trying to figure why the system restore said it was "successfully complete" when it actually wasn't. Regardless, my Windows Update feature is still not working.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice