Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to get my laptop online, having problems

Solved 
982 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 · (Edited)
It's an older laptop that I got recently, an HP 540 and it has Win XP SP3 installed.

It will recognize both an ethernet and a wireless connection, but will not actually connect to the internet.

I ran a network diagnostic and got the following message:

"Windows can not connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP"

It then mentions the problem is likely my firewall and I need to check HTTP Port 80, HTTPS Port 443, and FTP Port 21.

I couldn't figure out how to do that, and so I disabled the firewall and tried again. Same exact problem. I booted up the laptop in safe mode. The internet works! I checked through the event logs to see if there were any alerts, and three items came up: "Fips" "intelppm" and "DCOM"

I am basically at a loss now. I don't know how to proceed from here, and if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

EDIT: The plot thickens. The internet will only work if I log in as the default administrator in safe mode, if I switch to the main user account (which is also an administrator) it no longer works, even in safe mode.

See less See more
#4 ·
If the firewall is other than the Windows' one uninstall it (and run the Removal Tool if one is provided). The following may help.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

#5 ·
It's an older laptop that I got recently, an HP 540 and it has Win XP SP3 installed.
You appear to have a HP Compaq 540 Notebook PC which originally came with one of these operating systems:
Windows XP Professional 32-bit
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
Windows Vista Business 32-bit

What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on yours?
Re-installing XP is probably a good idea, I've been considering it since I'm having so much trouble.
Doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and getting it up-to-date isn't going to be quick and simple.
Unless you're as fortunate as I am to have a disc that has the updates slip-streamed into it, there are several time-consuming steps involved to getting it up-to-date.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
You appear to have a HP Compaq 540 Notebook PC which originally came with one of these operating systems:
Windows XP Professional 32-bit
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
Windows Vista Business 32-bit

What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on yours?

Doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and getting it up-to-date isn't going to be quick and simple.
Unless you're as fortunate as I am to have a disc that has the updates slip-streamed into it, there are several time-consuming steps involved to getting it up-to-date.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I do have a slip-streamed SP3 disc, I made it awhile back for a different computer. Well, I re-installed and kept having driver problems (For some reason the HP 540 audio and graphics drivers......don't work on this one) and I don't see the sticker that usually has the S/N and P/N on it.....so I just installed Lubuntu on this laptop and it seems to be working fine now.

Thank you for taking the time to reply though, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.