1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to help out with friends computer-

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jamme, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jamme

Jamme Thread Starter

she has widowsXP and its brand new but it runs slow, I want to shut down some of the start ups but not sure which one is her internet connection, she has cable connection. any help would be appreciated.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you talking about turning off some of the startup entries in the SERVICES window or the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab window?

The only entries that I have running in my Windows XP SP2 computer in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab window are the antivirus and firewall programs. I'm on BrightHouse Networks Roadrunner cable, and it doesn't place any entries in either window.

Write down the list of entries in the leftmost column next to the checked boxes and post the list here. Make sure to spell each one exactly as you see it. If you rather research each item yourself, you can make use of the search option at this site.

3. grundelman

grundelman

If this is a brand new PC then I wouldn't suspect startup programs as being the culprit for the slowness. Check for viruses/spyware..... check Task Manager for programs hogging resources.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If there is not enough RAM, if there are too many programs running in the background, and if there is too much "eye candy" running, even a new computer will run slow.

You would be surprised at much software bloat comes with a new computer.

5. Jamme

Jamme Thread Starter

thanks I will do that sorry I havent been here have been ill.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice