trying to help out with friends computer-

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jamme

she has widowsXP and its brand new but it runs slow, I want to shut down some of the start ups but not sure which one is her internet connection, she has cable connection. any help would be appreciated.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Are you talking about turning off some of the startup entries in the SERVICES window or the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab window?

The only entries that I have running in my Windows XP SP2 computer in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab window are the antivirus and firewall programs. I'm on BrightHouse Networks Roadrunner cable, and it doesn't place any entries in either window.

Write down the list of entries in the leftmost column next to the checked boxes and post the list here. Make sure to spell each one exactly as you see it. If you rather research each item yourself, you can make use of the search option at this site.

If this is a brand new PC then I wouldn't suspect startup programs as being the culprit for the slowness. Check for viruses/spyware..... check Task Manager for programs hogging resources.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If there is not enough RAM, if there are too many programs running in the background, and if there is too much "eye candy" running, even a new computer will run slow.

You would be surprised at much software bloat comes with a new computer.

Jamme

thanks I will do that sorry I havent been here have been ill.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts