1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to hook up my camera to my pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GnitsoH, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

I am trying to hook up my video camera or camcorder to my pc so I can put the videos into my computer.

I do not have the RCA ports in my computer. My video card as a S-video slot and it's 256 mb nvidia. How can I hook it up so that the video's transfer from my camcorder to the computer?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need a video capture card, your video card doesn't capture video data.

3. rolandk10

rolandk10

That S-video jack on your video card is an output only. You need another pice of hardware to import video feeds into your PC. A TV tuner card or any number of external components such as Dazzle are availlable at any Best Buy or Circuit City. They are pretty easy to use now days so once you have it, it shouldn't be any problem.

4. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

Okay, so should I get a TV tuner card or should I get Dazzle

5. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

6. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

7. JohnWill

8. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

So if I get that then all I would use a S-Video cable to connect the video camera to that card and it would insert the video plus audio into my computer, correct?

9. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

One last question. That hardware look perfect. Thank you so much!

When I hook up my camcorder to my PC can I use it as a live feed? Like a webcam?

Like can I use this on it: http://www.seriousmagic.com/vcspecs.cfm and record live?

Or do I need a webcam for that?

Is camcorders only to record content and then put it on your computer or can it be live as well?

10. JohnWill

I don't know if you can feed the video directly through that card, it would depend on the software that comes with it.

Update, I did a closer look at the card I pointed to, and there is a problem with it. It appears that the software doesn't come with the card, so I withdraw my recommendation. :) Here's the card with the software included for a few bucks more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100120. Here's another option in the same price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814144301

11. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

I can get the drivers I got Driver Professional which finds all the drivers for my hardware. As for software I don't need the software that comes with it, I actually have Pinnacle Studio, Ulead DVD Studio and another really pricey DVD software. I did a search of how to make the camcorder live and there are people who are doing it. Does the video camera it'sself need a driver? thank yhou for your help John.

12. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

check to see if your camcorder has a mini firewire or 1394 output connection.. then all you would need is a firewire card and a cable. Pinnacle will recognize your camcorder (with drivers installed) and download your video so you can edit it and create a dvd, avi, mpeg, or just copy it back to another tape. i'd say this would be your best choice.

13. JohnWill

JVC GR-AX710 VHS-C Analog Camcorder doesn't have Firewire.

14. GnitsoH

GnitsoH Thread Starter

Alright I ordered it, thank you so much for your help you have been very helpful.

15. JohnWill

Let us know how you make out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/425692