1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to install a new harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roanokesstar, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roanokesstar

roanokesstar Thread Starter

today a bought a new harddrive (60 gigs). my plan was to piggy back this one onto my existing one and have it be the slave. so i open my tower up and there is no second mount for a second drive. the guy at the store suggested using one of the cdrom slots....which would be fine except the slot is too big. so i decided to temporarily set them up so i could format the second drive and copy the entire contents of the first drive to the second drive and then put that one as the main drive. well this sounded great in my head.

i read in the new drive's installation directions that computers made before june 1999 may "stall" upon start up. the BIOS may not be equipped to handle a drive larger then 32 gigs. so i tried anyways. and that is exactly what it did. the directions suggested updating the BIOS according to the mother board manufacturer. well i can't figure out what kind of board it is. i bought my computer in feb 1999. it is a packard bell. AMD-K26 processor (333 Mhz). between looking on the PB site and the search i did here, i find out that PB doesn't work in the US anymore. i found plenty of sites with plenty of d/l's, but i have no idea where to even start. is there a place on the board that says what type it is???

yes i know packard bells suck. i have heard all the jokes from my friends.

and when and IF i am able to work through all this, is it better to piggy back the drives or copy over the files??

*wishing i was a computer tech or independently wealthy*

2. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Heh, I've mounted hard drives in those slots, "jimmying" it in and screwing it down with just a screw or two.

As far as copying the contents over, that likely won't work unless you use "disc imaging" software to do so.

Regarding your BIOS, most hard drive manufacturers have utilities on their websites called (formerly) "disc overlay" software that fools the BIOS. I would slave that drive, uninstall programs from the former drive, reinstalling them to your new "D:" drive to free up space on your old drive (assuming it's needed), defragging your old drive afterward.

You may or may not find better support on NEC's website for those PBs, btw. Most likely you won't find anything as PB and NEC both weren't very good about updating their BIOSes to keep up with emerging technologies.

3. roanokesstar

unfortunately the email i got back from one "packard bell" help site said that my mother board can't handle the drive. i assumed this would be easy, since all the other stuff i installed was a piece of cake. i am in over my head. i will have to break down and pay someone to look at it. i was trying to avoid that.

thanks for you help

4. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Well, if you're in the Western Washington state area... ;)

Rather, I think you'll find it fairly easy to do some homework in reading up on the various hard drive manufacturers' websites, should you want to give it another go. It really isn't too hard to do, compared to other tasks of hardware upgrades.

5. roanokesstar

i am just impatient. i was determined to do this myself. i do have a friend who is talking to his computer guru friend. he is suppose to get back to me tomorrow. maybe they have some ideas. plus i will do some research this weekend and maybe i can do it. i have a few days before the return period is up.

6. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

You're welcome. We all have been in that very position at one time or another. ;)

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The suggestion for the drive overlay was a good one in your situation. You can use the MaxBlast software from Maxtor to install a larger drive into a machine with an incompatible BIOS, WD has similar software.

As far as mounting the drive, for a couple of bucks you can buy the brackets to mount it. Hell, if you pay the shipping, I'll send you a set, I have probably a dozen in the closet! :)

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi roanokesstar

If you have an empty PCI slot on your motherboard you can also buy a Promise disk controller card for under $20.00 that has its own bios and can access the new drive without any need for disk overlay software. You can turn off the onboard disk controllers and run both of your drives off the controller card.

9. roanokesstar

thanks i will try the drive to look for that software. i'll see if that works.

i am not sure what a PCI slot is. the mother board is the part that intimidates me.

i am thinking i should just return the drive and save that money and put it towards buying a new tower. a friend suggested bidding on refurbished dell computers at www.dellauction.com. unfortunately, many of those are black computers, no operating system. which is fine if i can use the windows 98 cd that came with my original computer. but with how my computer luck is going so far, i am thinking it won't load onto a non packard bell computer out of spite.

i'll let you all know how it goes. thanks again.

10. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

Nah, you'll find the PCI slots to be easy to spot as they're usually the white slots inside the computer. But, alas, not all PCI controller cards play nice for booting devices.

If your Windows 98 disc is a standalone Microsoft product, I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

It's all a-learnin'...

Jay

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice