1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to install a SATA hard drive on an old system.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tborynski, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tborynski

tborynski Thread Starter

Hi there,

I am trying to install a Seagate 500GB SATA hard drive to my old DELL Dimension 4500.

I have previously installed PCI Controller Card from Masscool. I also installed and updated the driver on my old IDE hard drive.

I am not seeing an option in my BIOS to detect the hard drive.

When I get to Windows and open up My Computer it does not detect the drive but it does detect the SATA DVD drive I have installed to the controller. When I open the device manager it sees a hard drive connected but sees a SCSI drive.

Lastly when I open the program that I installed as a raid controller it does detect a SATA hard drive but it isn't allowing me to do anything with it.

Ultimately I would like to install this new hard drive and no longer use the old IDE one. I believe the next step is to access the RAID BIOS but I have no idea how. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try going into computer management Disk MAnagement and seeing it the drive is there listed as unallocated space. If it is partition it there and format it.

3. tborynski

tborynski Thread Starter

Thanks a lot!

Ok the drive is formatting now.

Now another question. After this is done formatting I would like to remove my old IDE drive. The problem is that the Raid controller program is on the IDE drive and my CD/DVD drive is SATA. Is there any way to put the Raid controller on 5" floppy so that my floppy drive which is IDE so the raid controller will detected when I get rid of the old hard drive? I'm not sure if this will work.

Thank you.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That one I dont know about. Hopefully some one more experienced with Sata than I can chime in.

5. jdean

jdean

What's a 5" floppy?
    How can you run RAID on a single drive?
    How can you remove your IDE drive without a working OS on the SATA drive?

IMHO you've got a system configuration that's overly complicated especially (and I don't mean to be rude when I say this) considering your understanding of the hardware and software issues.

Have you thought about simplifying your setup? Is there a reason that you need to be running RAID? (I'll admit I'm biased here as I believe that RAID is often overkill for home use.)

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am going to go out on a limb and say, that it is possible that the motherboard does not have on board Sata Controllers, which may be the reason a raid card was installed. Although it doesnt have to be set up in a raid format, it may be able to run as JBOD.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    After reading the Specs on a Dimension 4500 That is where it is at, no Sata on-board.

8. tborynski

tborynski Thread Starter

My bad it's a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive.

I don't know much about Raid and whether I need it but I do know that the DVD drive and PCI controller card didn't work on the IDE hard drive without the Raid controller software. If I get rid of the IDE hard drive with the raid controller software installed, I'm not sure the PCI controller card will work.

Thirdly the goal is to install Windows XP on my new SATA hard drive.

As for simplifying, I would love to start over with a new computer but it isn't in my budget right now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice