Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to Install Additional HDDs

757 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
OK, heres what Im working with: eMachines Model: ET1331G, AMD Athlon II X2 235e Processor 2.7GHz, 7 GB RAM, 650 W Power Supply, 64-bit Win7SP1, 750GB SATA HDD (Primary).

Im trying to install 2 WD 300GB IDE HDDs that were stock in another PC. One was a Master and one was a Slave. Ive put the jumper on the Slave PIN slot on the former Master drive and tried hooking them both to the IDE ribbon, with the old Master hooked to the Master port. I have 1 IDE port on my motherboard and a typical 3 port ribbon cable. I have the 2 additional HDDs powered up and screwed in place, but when I try to power up the PC with all 3 HDDs hooked up, it says Slave1 is BAD and Windows wont boot up from MY stock SATA HDD. I can unplug one or the other IDE HDD and it works fine, but it wont work with both "new" ones hooked up. So, obviously something is not right. Please help.

P.S. As of the time of this post, the "new" HDDs are NOT wiped. The old Master has a WIN7 OS and other junk on it and the old Slave has files and stuff on it. They are from my kids PC and Im waiting on his new HDD to arrive. Once I have transferred the data to his replacement HDD, I will be wiping them. If thats the solution to my problem, then I apologize for wasting time, but it doesnt seem like that should matter. But, I will admit ignorance on this particular subject.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the jumper charts again. If it is a CS cable, try CS. Some drives also have different jumper settings for when there is another drive present and when there isn't. Check both charts and don't assume the jumpers for both follow the same pattern.

Check BIOS, too. Look in general at drive settings, but especially at boot priority to be sure that one of those drives is not set to boot before your SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.