1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Trying to install Windows 10 on new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frustratedfellow55, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frustratedfellow55

frustratedfellow55 Thread Starter

Yesterday, I built my first gaming PC (almost, I have yet to purchase a GPU. I plan to run on the CPU's integrated graphics until then). I've been having trouble trying to install Windows 10 on it with a USB drive. I used the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website, and formatted an 8GB USB drive to install Windows 10 64-bit. Whenever I booted up the computer (which was countless times, between tweaking things in BIOS and etc.), it would show a black screen with the blue Windows 10 logo briefly, then give me the blue error screen saying "system thread exception not handled." I switched out the USB drive for another 32GB one I have, and that made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

After doing a lot of research and experimenting in the BIOS for several hours, I finally received a different result when I removed one stick of two sticks of RAM I installed. It no longer blue screens, but it is stuck on the Windows 10 logo screen instead. I'm assuming this is another issue altogether, but I honestly have no idea.

I have tried booting with stock BIOS settings, booting the USB drive manually, with XMP settings, with manual CPU and memory settings, with secure boot off, using different USB slots (3.1, 3.0, 2.0), with mouse and/or keyboard unplugged, updating the BIOS driver, without entering BIOS at all, switching RAM sticks' slots, changing boot priorities, and so on.

PC Specs:
    Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K
    CPU Graphics: Intel UHD 630
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 (2x8GB)
    Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2TB 3.5"
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Please help me, this is driving me insane. If I can get this to work WITHOUT purchasing a GPU, I would love to know how.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet? That's a nice rig! 2.0 is gonna be your best bet for installing Windows.

3. larryh10000

larryh10000

You probably know how to clear the BIOS but just in case you don't this may be a helpful video.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see a few issues here;

1 Bios updates. There are a LOT of bios updates on the support page that address system stability AND memory compatibility. Have you updated to the latest bios? If not, I would do so. Be sure you read and fully understand the update procedure using EZFlash [which is part of the bios]

2 Memory. Your memory needs 1.35V vdimm or ram voltage. The board should default to 1.2V. Set the voltage manually in the bios. FWIW I am NOT a fan of xmp; I much prefer to set speed, timings, voltage manually in the bios.

Here is a link to the support page for your board;
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/HelpDesk/

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

After you update the bios and set vdimm, I would boot the system with a memtest usb. Test the memory for a minimum of 1hr to be sure you do not have any errors.
    In addition while you are in the bios, check your cpu temp. Post that here.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you tried creating and using a bootable Windows 10 DVD instead of a USB thumb drive?

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. frustratedfellow55

I did update to the latest bios, yes. I used EZFlash and a USB drive to update to version 0614 from here.

I put the other memory stick into the appropriate slot, then cleared the CMOS. When I booted it up, the screen was like this. I entered setup (BIOS) and manually set the speed to 3200MHz and voltage for the memory (when I put "1.35" for voltage, it changed to "1.3530" no matter what I did).

The CPU is at 25°C (77°F), and during the 12+ hours of messing around with the computer, it never went above 30°C (86°F). I restarted, entered BIOS, and booted with the USB drive that has the memtest on it. The screen is black and has grey text that says "SYSLINUX 6.03 EDDBoot error"

It has been on this screen for about 10 minutes now, I'm assuming it's not doing anything further. I used MemTest86 V7.5 Free Edition for Windows (USB Drive).

8. frustratedfellow55

I would, but unfortunately I don't have a disc drive for my PC.

9. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

Try boot with CSM:
    upload_2018-4-14_18-16-57.png

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The screen you see is standard after a bios update OR clearing cmos/RTC. No, it is not going to do anything until you enter setup, save settings and restart.
    Just wondering, you list a 2TB drive for storage. Do you have anything on that drive ie old operating system or whatever?

11. frustratedfellow55

I've booted with CSM enabled, disabled, and auto.
    No, it is a brand new drive.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Try unplugging your hard drive [data and pw connectors] Now boot with the windows install usb and see if it boots normally into setup. You will not show any disks to install however see if setup starts normally.
    You do not have anything installed in the M.2 slots do you?

13. frustratedfellow55

I do not have anything installed into the M.2 slots. I got the blue screen with the same error (system thread exception not handled) when starting up with the Windows USB in but without the hard drive plugged in.

14. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    After the money you spent on that rig, I can understand why you don't ! That's the exact specs I am wanting for my next build.

15. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    After reading cjdriver's post above, I am thinking you possibly have the wrong settings in BIOS or possibly a bad memory module. I would take the sticks out, one at a time and try to boot. If it boots up on one or two but not with all 4, then you might have a bad module. You will need to run memtest like suggested. It takes quite a while. For your info, my computer will not boot correctly when I have "XMP" enabled, even though my memory is supposed to be able to utilize it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice