1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to install XP on a wiped hard-drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yogi45, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yogi45

Yogi45 Thread Starter

Hi, I bought a Dell B130 laptop with a wiped hard-drive, and I am trying to install XP Pro. When I install the XP cd nothing happens. All the screen says is; 'No boot sector on internal hard drive' then it beeps twice and this comes up, 'No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility' Of course I did the F1 and F2 with no success. F2 works but I don't know what to do with the information given.

I'm trying to load it for my daughter's b-day gift. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im going to take a wild guess that just maybe the hard drive has failed or is failing.If the drive was still good it would more than likely say no operating system found.F2 means it shows you in what order the boot devices are listed. Is a hard drive even listed at all?A b-130 sounds like either a very old inspiron or an old latitude.Sometimes wiping a harddrive thats failing or old is just enough to finish it off for good.I had that happen years ago on a friends computer.I was able to salvage the info he wanted then wiped the drive because he didnt want it back because the screen had major cracks in it.After wiping the drive it blue screened and that was it.Turned out the drive died and so did the motherboard.i would wonder why you bought one with a wiped drive. Usually they are sold with no operating system at all or whatever it came with originally should of been reinstalled.

3. Yogi45

Yogi45 Thread Starter

Yes there is a hard drive listed in the system device info: 40 GB HDD

4. Yogi45

Yogi45 Thread Starter

So how do I get the XP cd to load? I've loaded it up before on other computers I had but none with wiped hard drives.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Try another boot CD like Parted Magic iso. If it boots to the CD, something is wrong with the XP CD, if no boot there either its just not booting to the CD drive, check boot devices in BIOS to make sure its the first in the order of boot devices.

Working with a wiped hard drive is of no consequence until you actually get booted to a CD first.

6. Yogi45

Yogi45 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I do not have another boot cd. I have switched the order to have the dvd/cd drive first in bios and in F12.

Can I check the XP cd on my pc to see if it boots up on this computer?

7. Yogi45

Yogi45 Thread Starter

I just performed a diagnostic test after pressing F12 during start-up and everything passed. A window popped up and said that 'No diagnostic Utility Partition identified.' What does that mean? I read somewhere that I needed at least one partition.

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, just be sure the boot from CD/DVD drive option is on and the first in boot priority in that computer as well if it doesn't happen to boot or give an option to press any key to boot right away.

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You are going to have to create and format a partition, but you won't be able to do that until you get a installation or utility disc (or specially prepared USB flashdrive) to boot first.

10. Yogi45

Yogi45 Thread Starter

I put the XP cd in my other laptop and it booted right up. So the XP cd is readable. So now I'm at a loss about how to get XP loaded on the Dell. Oh, and thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If XP came on the Dell, it was never loaded. It was there before construction.

Are you sure that the CD-ROM is first in the boot priority in BIOS? You could create another bootable CD to see if that worked, but the XP should boot if it did in the other machine unless it is defective (a possibility with used machines).

============================================

There have been quite a few cases of drives being unusable after wiping. That is generally done before disposing of the machine so it can never be used again. It is not necessary for most people.

Windows requires all its drives to have a boot sector, even if they are not boot drives. It sounds like the drive has lost its initialization and doesn't have any MBR at all. You could try booting with a USB key and seeing what the situation is with the drive. Parted Magic may be able to write a Windows NT boot sector to the drive, but you can also then see if the drive is even accessible and test it. If it allows it, partition and format the drive as NTFS. You won't need to keep that partition for XP but it will then at least have a boot sector and maybe be prepared for XP.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, I was going to suggest you try and write the MS-DOS partition table, create and format to NTFS with GParted from the Parted Magic iso if you got that to boot, just to see if the drive was responding and to get it ready for XP.
    Since it seemingly doesn't want anything to do with the optic drive though you can still check the BIOS and see if its capable of booting from USB and if so you can then try that route with both Parted Magic and with XP.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would give a test of the CD-ROM if it will boot. If it won't, and boots OK in another machine, then you know the drive is shot.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!