1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to keep LOTUS NOTES 123 RELEASE 5 alive!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by amadeus-salvador, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador Thread Starter

Here is an interesting challenge for those of you who appreciate going retro:cool :cool::

At work we have an old stand alone machine running Lotus Notes 123 Release 5 on Windows 3.1 and I am trying to find a way to run it on my notebook before that old pc gives out. We use it to run a custom made spreadsheet that we cannot duplicate with a lot of man hours. The requirements for the program are below. I have never used Lotus and don't know if current version is backwards compatible that far back. I was hoping to find a way for it to run on Notebook that is running Windows 7. I thought I could make a partition in my hard drive to run an older OS that could run this version of Lotus, but I do not believe I can run Windows 3.1 on my current PC due to driver issues, etc.

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this project. Any insights you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

System Requirements:
    IBM-compatible 80386 PC or higher
    VGA or higher graphics card
    DOS 3.3 or higher. Windows 3.1, 3.11
    Hard drive with minimum 11MB available
    Minimum 4MB of RAM (6MB required to run Lotus Maps)

2. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

I think you can pull this off with using Virtualbox. Although you will probably have to do some research on how to get working. After a quick search I found a post back in 2007 explaining how to do it, but virtualbox has come a long way since then, and I am not sure how their dos support has changed.

Another option would possibly be using dosbox

Good Luck
    Jeremy

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Just installed Windows 3.11 inside a Virtual PC on Windows 7.
    The tricky part will be gettting the Networking working. I know it can be done I just haven't had the time to get it working.

4. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador Thread Starter

Squashman,

Thank you for your response. I have a couple of questions: Did you use a program to create Virtual PC, or does it come with Windows 7? Does a new partition need to be made?

Networking? I just need to be able to run Lotus 123 and printout my results. No networking issues at this point.

Thanks again Squashman!

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you are running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I don't believe it is support on the Home versions of any of the Windows OS's.

Virtual Box should be able to run Windows 3.1 as well.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice