1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to load WinMe in safe mode, but ScanDisk takes over, then "SAFE MODE" in 4...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by blackberrybunny, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackberrybunny

blackberrybunny Thread Starter

I'm trying to help a friend, who has called me long distance with PC troubles! Please try to help us out. I don't have all of her PC info, (RAM size, etc.) but here is the problem...

She has WinMe. Today, her PC totally shut down spontaneously while she was using it. SO she rebooted and up comes the screen with the options to start in Normal mode, safe mode, etc...

Well, before she can select Safe Mode, ScanDisk kicks on, runs through, and then the sceen goes gray, with "SAFE MODE" appearing in each corner, and nothing else on the screen.

When she at this point trys a Ctrol-Alt-Del, there is NOTHING at all in the box to shut down.

She cannot get to her desktop to the Start button to try to restore her registry.

What can we do? Any help is appreciated!!

Also, I should add that she had created an emergency disk when she first got her PC. When she turns the PC off, and puts the disk into the floppy drive, then turns the PC back on, nothing happens. The green floppy light blinks, but nothing comes up on the screen.

2. labayou

labayou

Was there bad weather?

A very loud clap of thunder got my nic card which prevented my computer from powering up. Monitor went off as did the computer and wouldnt power back on although the lights came on.

AND the cable from the cable company was the ONLY thing NOT connected through a ups/power surge protector so (lucky for me) it was the only thing fried by the static from the thunder/(lightening which we didnt even see).

If not, does she have virus protection? Maybe a virus executed itself during that session of use. Sounds extreme but you never know.

labayou

3. bandit429

bandit429

Below is a link which may help it should work for windows ME. Let us know how it works out. What type of computer? Did your friend enter the bios and choose to boot the floppy drive first?

Click here

4. blackberrybunny

How do you enter the BIOS?

What we did, on bootup, was press F8 during the WinMe splash screen. We wanted to put the PC in safe mode, and it apparently DID got into safe mode, but there was no desktop to be seen. No Start button, nothing but a gray screen, with SAFE MODE in the 4 corners.

We are stumped!

ALSO, I had her turn off the PC, insert her EMD into the floppy drive, but it ignored it and did the same thing--gray screen with SAFE MODE in all corners...??

5. bandit429

bandit429

If you ever see in the very first thing that come on your screen when you turn your computer on a small line is there that says " PRESS***** TO ENTER SETUP.
    This is where you can change the way your computer recognises things first and last but there are many options,,,there a a lot of different versions and even sometimes the same exact version may not be exactly the same on two computers,, according to whats inside the computer will make a difference to the options a biios contains. SO when you do this be absolutley sure of what you have done,,how you did it and how you can get back to reverse the change,,otherwise do not make the change... You will see that you have the choices of (save and exit setup) or (exit without saving changes) the exit without saving changes is the most important thing to know,,that way if you make a change your not sure of the you can always make that choice.

When you boot have you ever seen PRESS DEL TO ENTER SETUP? and what brand of computer do you have?

Different brand computers use different buttons.

6. labayou

labayou

Hi
    That's good Bandit, about warning about the bios. I probably shouldnt have mentioned it without the warning. Thanks.

I work on friends computers every now and then (getting to be more and more often now) and had the same problem with one I was working on. Finally got it to boot to safe made but only the words and a strange colored background came up; no mouse; no desktop; no nothinG!

My problem turned out to be bad ram. I had been trying to install win98se and it kept stalling. When I got the installation to progress to the Welcome Windows screen it wouldnt finish loading and stalled again and that was as far as I could get it to go. Worked and worked.
    Wrote zeros to hddrive, unplugged everything not necessary to start and gave up; went to sleep. Woke up and KNEW what it was. The additional ram had been added AFTER the last working install of win98se and worked fine, but obviously must be bad because when I removed it; the install of win98se worked perfectly without any stalls at all.

So I might suggest removing all but one stick of ram, and even swapping it out with all others just to make sure, before giving up. Just keep trying.

Just my thoughts, hoping to help.

labayou

7. blackberrybunny

I think I'll leave to BIOS alone! I think the registry is corrupted here. I'm going to have my friend try her restore disk-- in WinMe, option 3 on it let's you try to restore your registry back to a time when it was working fine.

Othersie, we'll have to completely reformat. :O

Thanks for everyone's help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice