1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to make my own wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MMelanieJ, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MMelanieJ

MMelanieJ Thread Starter

Hi :eek: ,

My name's Melanie...I was wondering if anyone could help me with setting up a wireless network.

Hmm..this is what happened:

We have cable internet..with a modem that's maybe 3 or 4 years old. It's called Motorola SB4101 SURFboard Cable Modem. The computer is around the same age, it has Windows XP Home.

Then I decided I wanted to use my laptop in my bedroom, so we bought a wireless router. It is called Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router 802.11 g Model WRT54GS.

I put in the setup CD..and followed the directions...but only the "power" , "wlan" and "internet" lights are on. The CD said the "Ethernet 1" light was supposed to be on also.

There's an ethernet cord connecting the cable modem to the wireless router, an ethernet cord connecting the desktop computer to the wireless router, and a USB cord connecting the cable modem to the desktop computer. Of course all the power plugs are in and the cable cord is connected to the cable modem.

Do you know what could be the problem?

The weird thing is, when I turn on my laptop it recognizes the wireless network..it will say "connection strength: excellent" and stuff, and it says that it's sending and receiving. But if I try to open a website it gives the same message it gives if I'm not connected to the internet..you know "site not found" or something. None of the messenger or other internet programs work either. I even tried turning my firewall off to see if that was the problem but nothing changed.

Well... maybe i'm just typing too much and it doesnt makes sense :p but if anyone could please help me, I would really love it

thanks

2. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

I have done a few wireless networks my self and had a few probs.

Are you in the UK ? If so who are you with regarding your internet provider? If its outside UK it might be different

Gus

PS It will show signal strength excellent even tho it isnt talking to the router

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

Just something to try

u dont need usb and ethernet going to the desktop pc so take the usb out.

Make sure the ethernet from the modem to the router is going to the "wan" port

After that disconnect the power to the "Modem" for about 20 seconds and then reconnect. This has solved a few issues for me. Also make sure the laptops home page is something like www.google.com as I have seen a few cases where the homepage on the laptop is no longer available and it shows "page cannot be displayed" even though it is connected to the net.
    Although you did say messenger isnt working either.

Just something to try, Im not a guru but sometimes similar problems can help out.

Gus

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Welcome, Melanie.

GUSMAN is right on with his post #3. With most cable providers you can use the modem's USB or ethernet connection, but not both at the same time. And, as he said, you usually have to power cycle the modem when switching between different devices connected to the modem.

With an ethernet cable connected from router to computer there should be a lit LED for the router's LAN port and one by the computer's port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice