trying to mimick work setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cakewalkr7

Where I work we have dll's that connect to network shares for file access in a format like \\computername\share\file.xml I am going to be working remotely soon and therefore will be doing a lot of work disconnected from our network. When this starts the dlls won't work anymore because they obviously won't be able to find the computer.

I was hoping I could modify my hosts file to route all of the calls to those computers back to my own by using my ip address. I would set up the same folders in hopes that the dlls would continue to function. When I modified my host file to have....

192.168.1.138 publish1

... and then went to start>run>\\publish1 I get a login box. It doesn't matter who I try to login as (currently logged onto the machine under the administrator account) it just comes back to the login box and won't let me get any further.

Does anyone know how I can make this work so that I can make any path point back to my own computer? Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online