1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to name an unknown dresser

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Farmgirl22, Jan 25, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22 Thread Starter

Does anyone know where to find who manufactured a certain piece of furniture? I've been trying to find the brand name for my dresser, which is huge, and we can't keep it. But if I want to be able to sell it for a decent price on eBay, I have to know who made it. Where do they normally put the brand on a dresser??? I've looked inside the drawers, and since we are still using it, I can't look behind it just yet, not that it would probably be back there anyway, as I remember, it's just a piece of particleboard back there, not a good place to announce your creation! LOL!

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

New or antique?

3. Farmgirl22

Newish. I would say not more than 6-7 years old. Probably not even that old, but I'm being conservative.

4. Wiskycoo

Wiskycoo Account Closed

Try taking the first drawer out and look inside the dresser under the counter top. In some cases that is were you'll find it. It could be a sticker or stamp. If it was something mass produced you may just find a number.

5. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

pictures would help that way if theres anyone on here in the furneture business they can help.

6. Farmgirl22

Ok, Lexmarks told me that I should post some pics in case someone would recognize it. Here they are...I hope....:)

Attached Files:

7. Rockn

Rockn

Did you look under the drawers as suggested? Looks like the generic stuff you can get from any retail furniture outlet.

8. hannab

hannab

It does look like a generic brand, like Rockn said, wouln't the pictures be good enough for EBay? maybe show the inside of an empty drawer, too.

9. Farmgirl22

I dunno, I suppose it probably would be, it's just that I like to have all the information possible for my listings...that way no one is unsatisfied. I was also hoping to find the "brand" so that I could guestimate how much it should bring, so that I could set a reserve if I needed to.

10. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

where did you get it did you buy from a furneture store or catolog or was it there when you moved in

11. Farmgirl22

None of the above. It belonged to a friend of my aunt's that was murdered. While her husband was in jail, my aunt took care of the Estate. We got the dresser and a bunch of other things from that for free, and a lot of the other stuff was donated to charity, some was sold at auction.
    However, I don't think this furniture is anything but top of the line. Nothing else in the house was cheap...most of their stuff was custom made/top notch stuff (guess that's what you get when you are a big shot anesthesiologist). The dresser actually had a bed, armoir, 2 nightstands, a dining room group, china hutch, and a bunch of other stuff that matched or looked as though it did (they were all the same brand, but I don't remember what it was since it was like 4 years ago). We only got the dresser though, everything else was spoken for. No one wanted the dresser because it's so big. That's why it was free.

12. Wiskycoo

Wiskycoo Account Closed

From what I can see it looks to be a particle board type of dresser.... you are likely to get (if you are lucky) about a max of $150- $200 for it because it looks to be a 1980's contemporary styling. When it was purchased for brand new, it was likely around $400. 80's style furniture is not all that popular right now so the high price I gave for what you MIGHT get, is certainly a high profit.

Best of luck.

I buy and sell antiques and other furniture when ever I get the chance. ;) :)

13. Farmgirl22

It's made of real wood, and it really shows when you try and lug it around (3 people when the drawers are out of it!) LOL!! The bracing inside is wood, the drawers are wood, the door/drawer facing is wood, and so is the top. Not entirely sure about the mirror, but pretty sure it's wood too--at least on the front...there is a thin layer of particle board on the back of it, where the mirror lays against the design. That seems to be the only particle board on it...I suppose I could be wrong though. :eek:

14. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

any name on the mirror at all.maby google for people who Identify furniture or post it on cragslist it could be ashley furniture

15. Wiskycoo

Wiskycoo Account Closed

(y):cool: ..then what I would suggest is make sure you give an inside shot of a drawer to add so people can see that as well as measurements so they get an idea of just how big this piece of furniture is.

Then I'd probably set your reserve at no less then $250.00.(y)

Solid wood certainly will make your piece of furniture more enticing.(y)

...oh one last thing... check the bottom for a stamp, in all likleyhood that's where it is.:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!