1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to network 2 XP's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flags, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Hi, everyone. In my signature, you can see the two machines I'm trying to network. I recently got DSL broadband. I have a Speedstream 5200 DSL Modem and a Gigafast EZ500-S switch. This is hooked up properly and I am able to ping each machine from the other by IP address only, not by name.
    I cannot see either machine in My Network Places.
    I have read a lot of postings, MSKB articles, and some things on sites relating to networking. The more I read, the more I get confused.
    I would like to share Files and a Printer that I have connected to the Dell.
    If you can help, please keep it simple. (like me).
    I know, with your help this can be done so, let's go. Please.

2. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Oh, and one more thing. It seems that I have to uninstall ZoneAlarm on both computers. Does that not make me vulnerablle to all kinds of problems?
    I would feel naked.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You don't need to permanently remove Zone Alarm. But you should do it until you get all network functioning. This helps eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem.

I would also turn off XP's built-in firewall as well.

Go to Start / Settings / Network Connections
    Right click on the network connection you want to change
    Select Properties
    Click on the Advanced tab
    Uncheck the box in Internet Connection Firewall

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also, if you can ping by IP but not Name, you might try adding the other computer's IP address and Name to the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files. This typically solves the problem and eliminates needing to add an additional protocol like NetBEUI just to have a network.

Both files are identical plain text files located in the \windows\system32\drivers\etc directory that can easily be edited with notepad.

The contents are just the other computer's IP address followed by the computer name:

E.g. 192.168.2.2 computer1

It helps if you have a static IP address assigned for each computer.

5. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Bob: I did as you suggested. I can now ping each machine by name and IP address.
    I also have internet DSL on both machines.
    Thank you for your help. Stick around please, I'll probably need you again.
    Next task is to share printer and files.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice