trying to network for the first time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

recassin

I just bought and installes a netgear WGR614 on my first PC (98se) and I can access the internet fine on it and i also can see the "wireless" light lit up on the router. how do i need to go about setting up my second desktop (xp pro) to be able to access the internet and network these 2 machines. they both have ethernet cards installed. help please!

TerryNet

Terry
Connect an ethernet cable between a LAN port on the router and your XP machine, and you should get internet access.

To share files run the [Start - Control Panel - ] Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine and create a disk to run on the 98 machine. You want to use Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro. (Note: both computers connect to the internet via a residential gateway.)

recassin

i thought i could initially set it up without connecting the ethernet cable to the 2nd machine but it seems I will need a wireless network card. Is this correct? If so, will any card make this connection work or will I need a specific Netgear product?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online