1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to reach print server on different sub-net

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mr Davo, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to setup a Print Server remotely - and the challenge that I am facing is that the Print Server is on a different sub-net (by default) than the main network.

The main network consists of the I.P. addresses: 192.168.174.0 to 192.168.174.254

The Print Server has a default I.P. address of: 192.168.0.10

Fortunately the remote location is using a Netgear SRXN3205 which supports Lan Multi-Homing.

I have added the address 192.168.0.1 to the router (as shown below) -

[​IMG]

I have remote access to a Windows 7 computer, and I have tried adding a Static Route to it in order to reach the Print Server -

I have tried both of the following -

route add 192.168.0.10 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1

(above uses the Routers LAN Multi-Homing feature)

route add 192.168.0.10 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.174.254

(above uses the Routers standard I.P. address)

** Can't reach the print server either through ping or a web browser with either of the above commands ***

If anybody has any suggestions on how I can reach the config page of the Print Server (TP-Link TL-PS110U) they will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I just answered a similar question for another poster.

The problem you have is even though the router supports secondary addressing on the LAN port, it's really limited in functionality. If you look in the user's guide ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/SRXN3205_RM_27Jan2010.pdf ), you'll see this text about multi-homing, "If you have computers on your LAN using different IP address ranges (for example, 172.16.2.0 or
    10.0.0.0), you can add “aliases” to the LAN port, giving computers on those networks access to the
    Internet through the VPN firewall." This says the multi-homing feature only supports LAN to WAN network flow and not LAN to LAN. This is further born out with how the firewall access rules are created.

Why is the printer on a separate subnet?

3. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi zx10guy,

Thanks for your valuable input. The Print Server is on a different sub-net because it is still on it's default setting.

Kind Regards,

David

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The easiest fix is to just assign a device to the same subnet as the printer. Then go into the GUI of the printer to change the IP addressing to be on the same subnet as the rest of your network. This is provided that the printer can't be configured from the user controls on the printer.

5. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

If I change the I.P. address on the remote computer I will then no longer have access to it either.

6. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

A colleague of mine provided a working solution. To perform the task at hand I added a secondary I.P. address to the network adapter on the remote computer -

Adding a Second IP Address to an Existing Network Adapter on Windows

Here is a screen shot of the settings that I decided on -

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Davo

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice