1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to recover files using HDD Enclosure caddy - no luck

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by strustru, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. strustru

strustru Thread Starter

Hello

I hope you can help me!

My laptop screen broke and I bought a new laptop. I then went and bought a 2.5" USB HDD Enclosure caddy to recover my stuff - and have put the HD into it. Everything seems to be running fine - I can access all "shared" folders on the old hard drive using the caddy, but anything that is under "user" (administrator) keeps coming up "access denied". I can see all my old folders and even pics on my Desktop but it won't let me view them; "access denied".

I fear it is because my laptop was password protected i.e. when using Windows XP on my old laptop everytime I logged in I had a password to type in. I don't know how to fix this! I can't find any way of sharing the folders or typing in my old password. Hope you can help!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. strustru

strustru Thread Starter

Hi - thanks for your reply

I tried following the instructions but when I right-click 'Properties' of disk in My Computer - I do not get what is shown in the examples given.

After opening 'Properties' I only get 6 tabs - 'General', 'AutoPlay', 'Tools', 'Hardware', 'Sharing' and 'Quota'.

I tried going into 'Sharing' and clicking 'share this folder with network users' etc but it still doesn't let me access the files and folders within the HD

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to right click on the folders on the drive not the drive itself.

5. strustru

strustru Thread Starter

when I 'right click' a folder "access id denied" to, I only get three options; 'general', 'sharing' or 'customize'

6. strustru

strustru Thread Starter

when I try and "share" it, it won't allow me "access denied"

7. ajkane

ajkane

Take the HDD out of the laptop and connect it to another computer, download this: http://www.clonezilla.org/downloads/stable/iso-zip-files.php (click on top for the latest download) and use it to clone your HDD (you will either need to buy a new HDD/SSD, or partition the drive in the computer you are moving the HDD into, and have a blank partition that has enough empty space to hold the amount of used space on the restricted HDD. If you don't know how to partition you can either look it up or I can tell you. After you clone the drive all the restrictions should be gone. Then you can reformat the restricted HDD and clone it back, using the same software (or you can leave it blank and start from scratch).

8. strustru

strustru Thread Starter

Hi ajkane - the disk is already out of the laptop - it's in an external HDD enclosure

9. ajkane

ajkane

Try putting it right into one of the SATA ports on the MB, then you might get better luck, if not do what I described but right through the MB, not through and external connection, not unless you have incompatible system types (E-fat, and SATA).

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What version of Windows is on the new computer? You may need to hook it up to Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro computer and take ownership and grant everyone access to the folders.

Not sure why you are trying to share it.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Download the attachment. Unzip it. Right-click the reg file inside and choose "Merge". That will add a new context menu entry.

Then, right-click the drive or the files and folders you want and choose to take ownership of them.

Attached Files:

• own.zip
      File size:
      429 bytes
      Views:
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice