1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to reformat hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoffdaddydmb, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffdaddydmb

hoffdaddydmb Thread Starter

my computer won't let me format the drive. it tells me

'quit any disk utilities or any other programs using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying this drive.'

I don't have anything running although, the reason for trying to reformat the drive is that i have a bunch of viruses and spyware that i can't get rid of no matter what spyware/antivirus program i've tried.

So how do i format? and will my XP disc be able to reinstall an OS since none will be present after i format it.

Thanks in advance, Adam

2. hoffdaddydmb

hoffdaddydmb Thread Starter

it would be helpful also to let you know that i'm using windows XP. :)

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sounds like you are trying to format from within Windows. . Set your BIOS to boot first from CD . . when you see the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that. You can then delete and recreat partition(s) and proceed to format and installation. Disconnect any external perhephals except Monitor, Keyboard and MOuse . . and be sure those are not USB or wireless.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP

Good luck . . wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice