1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to reformat my harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drod75, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

Im trying to boot windows XP from the CD-ROM in order to reformat my harddrive. When i boot from the CD i get an error that says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"...awhile back my old hard drive went caput so i had it replaced...but i noticed that when it was replaced...instead of using the port that the old one used...they put in a new one and hooked the new hard drive up to that. and now i cant reformat because i cant boot windows from the cd...any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why are you trying to format? There is no need any more--it is part of the installation.

If you have a SATA drive, you need to get the driver for a floppy or make a new XP CD:

Installing XP on a SATA drive

3. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

thats the thing...even if i try to reinstall windows it doesnt detect my hard drive because its on a secondary channel and not the primary channel and i dont know how to do it on the hard drive because its on the secondary channel

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why don't you connect it as primary?

5. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

the prongs are different for the primary line then they are for the secondary so its impossible for me to plug the newer hard drive into the old line...and there seems to be no way around it

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the model of the drive?

Look in BIOS setup. See if there is a setting for boot drive and if you have settings for IDE and SATA/RAID.

7. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

the hard drive is an ST 380817 SCSI disk device

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That is a SATA drive. I'm afraid those really old operating systems like XP don't natively support the new SATA drives.

You need to make a new XP CD as I linked above with the SATA driver on it, or do you have a floppy drive?

9. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

i have the floppy disk but i dont know if its from my old hard drive or my new one...i go through the windows set up and i press F6 and hit S...i put the floppy in and hit enter...and it'll say please wait...and then it'll go back to the "please insert disk into drive A and press enter" screen

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the floppy disk? Does it have the SATA driver on it? Where did it some from? What do you see when you explore the disk?

There may be a driver at your board's manufacturer. What make/model of computer or what mainboard do you have?

11. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

the disk says serial ATA RAID drivers for intel desktop board D845PEBT2. It was in the box where i keep the rest of my disks. its got OEM files setup information system files MPD files Control Panel extention and Virtual device drivers

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That should be the one. So I guess now look in BIOS setup and see what you can see. Is that drive enabled? Is it set to RAID? Try some different settings, especially if you booted from an IDE drive before.

13. drod75

drod75 Thread Starter

i just looked into my device manager and it seems my computer is using the Intel 82801DB ATA storage controller..the numbers dont match the floppy that im using...would this be a problem?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice