1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to reformat old Texas Instrument Laptop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CoasterFreak, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    Hi there, I'm trying to reformat an old TI Laptop. I popped in the Win98 CD and then I was able to reformat, but now the computer will not boot from the CD. What's the problem? I keep getting the Invalid System Disk error.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Change the Boot sequence in the BIOS to CD first.

3. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    well in the BIOS there is no way to change the boot sequence to CD...it's one of the laptops with changeable floppy and CD-rom...but the floppy is nowhere to be found and only the cd is installed. Now in the BIOS is does say Boot Sequence...A then C and thats what its set to, but I still get the same error.

4. DaveBurnett

Are you absolutely certain that CD is Bootable? I think because the floppy and the CD both use the same connection, the boot sequence does need to be A:C if that is the only choice.

5. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Now, do you mean the CD-ROM itself, or the drive? The boot sequence is A:C, but I'm assuming you're asking me whether or not that particular cd is bootable. I think it is, but I'll try another one, isn't Win 95 bootable?

Also, are there any floppy's that can do a partial install of the operating system? Because then at least the operating system would be partially installed, and then all I would need the Win 98 disk for is to pick up some of the larger files.

6. DaveBurnett

I meant the CD not the drive. Win 95 wasn't.
    All you absolutely need on the hard disk is for it to be formatted as system and have CD drivers on it. You could then boot from it and access the CD.
    Later 98se CDs were bootable.

7. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Well, I'm using a Win98se cd, i can try another one, I'm sure I have another one around here. I'll try it and let u kno..thanx.

8. SqDancerLynn

SqDancerLynn

The fact is your computer does not support booting from CD & their are no CD drivers available for the computer to use. You need to boot with a floppie, using the external floppie drive to load CD rom support & then use the win CD. . You could try using an adapter an installing the HD in your computer & loading windows

9. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice