Trying To Reinstall Windows XP On Dell Inspiron Mini 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GillBates54

David
Go into the Bios and make sure the hard drive mode is set to ATA/Legacy/IDE instead of AHCI/Sata then try the XP install again.

Is your keyboard wireless ?
Thanks, I will try making those changes in Bios and let you know how things go. No, the keyboard is not wireless, the Dell Inspiron 10 Mini is a netbook with a regular built-in keyboard and all the keys are working ok as far as I can tell.

dmccoy

Darrin
Also make sure you enable legacy mode and disable secure boot if that is shown in the bios

managed

Allan
Thanks, I will try making those changes in Bios and let you know how things go. No, the keyboard is not wireless, the Dell Inspiron 10 Mini is a netbook with a regular built-in keyboard and all the keys are working ok as far as I can tell.
Sorry about the wireless keyboard question, it was meant for a different thread. :(

TerryNet

Terry
To network two computers they both must be running software (usually an operating system and some special networking program). You can't boot either computer to something else while still running that software.

The CD/DVD drive of your desktop PC is tied to a SATA connection on your motherboard, it doesn't communicate directly thru an external USB cable. An external USB CD/DVD drive is designed to work over a USB cable!

GillBates54

David
The CD/DVD drive of your desktop PC is tied to a SATA connection on your motherboard, it doesn't communicate directly thru an external USB cable. An external USB CD/DVD drive is designed to work over a USB cable!
OK, that's good enough for me, I've just ordered a portable USB CD/DVD drive from Amazon... Watch this space!

plodr

Liz
I hope you bought one with a y power connector or its own power supply. If it only connects to one USB port, the power supplied might not be enough.

I use a portable DVD burner with the 3 netbooks in the house (one linux and two Windows 7). I also hooked it up to a very old all-in-one computer with Windows 2000 that only had a CD-ROM when I wanted to use a DVD.

Attachments

GillBates54

David
I hope you bought one with a y power connector or its own power supply. If it only connects to one USB port, the power supplied might not be enough.

I use a portable DVD burner with the 3 netbooks in the house (one linux and two Windows 7). I also hooked it up to a very old all-in-one computer with Windows 2000 that only had a CD-ROM when I wanted to use a DVD.
I simply ordered the same one that was recommended earlier in this thread and as far as I know, it's just USB powered.

Can I just buy a Y connector separately?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online