1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dachsielvr, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dachsielvr

dachsielvr Thread Starter

We have a Dell inspiron B130 which we got in 1996. It had a new harddrive installed 2 years ago. It is now my husband's computer. He wanted to wipe it clean after he backed up the files to an external harddrive.

We turned it on and hit F12. That brought us to a screen with several choices, one of which was CD. We put in the original disk sent with computer. It ran through everything and then we got a msg that said we needed the XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, which said it was on the original disk we were loading from. We had a disk we ordered from Dell entitled XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 so we loaded it. Then we got this message:

Error
    The signature for Windows XP Home Edition setup is invalid. The error code is 800b0100. No signature was present in the subject.

Fatal Error
    Setup failed to install the product catalogues. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Where do we go from here? :eek: Thanks in advance. I've used your site before and it was excellent.:)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No you didn't! :D Maybe 2006?

What are you trying to do at this point?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site for the Dell Inspiron B130 laptop(which was introduced in late 2005 - early 2006).

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker of your laptop?

4. dachsielvr

You're right. It was 2006. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2005 and we moved to St. Louis for treatment and he bought me the new laptop in 2006.

He wants it back to factory condition.

All I've read tells me to go to start, turn off the firewall, etc.

I don't have a Start to go to. :(

My husband is 76, in congestive heart failure and his computer is his best friend.

Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for getting back to me.

5. dachsielvr

5t8br91

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 5T8BR91, that laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300/B130 model.

Here is the support and downloads site for it.

According to its system configuration section, it was purchased in April 2006 in the United States and came with Windows XP Home Edition installed.

It doesn't appear that a Windows XP reinstallation disc came with it, so there should be a built-in system restore/system recovery partition that allows it to be reverted back to its original factory condition.

Here is the on-line owner's manual for it.

This is what it says for restoring the operating system:

Restoring Your Operating System

You can restore your operating system in the following ways:

• Microsoft® Windows® XP System Restore returns your computer to an earlier operating state without
    affecting data files. Use System Restore as the first solution for restoring your operating system and
    preserving data files.
    • Dell PC Restore by Symantec restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you
    purchased the computer. Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes
    any applications installed after you received the computer. Use PC Restore only if System Restore did
    not resolve your operating system problem.
    • If you received an Operating System CD with your computer, you can use it to restore your operating
    system. However, using the Operating System CD also deletes all data on the hard drive. Use the CD
    only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.

Using Microsoft Windows XP System Restore

The Microsoft Windows XP operating system provides System Restore to allow you to return your
    computer to an earlier operating state (without affecting data files) if changes to the hardware, software,
    or other system settings have left the computer in an undesirable operating state. See the Windows Help
    and Support Center for information on using System Restore. To access the Windows Help and Support
    Center, see “Windows Help and Support Center.”

Creating a Restore Point

1 Click the Start button and click Help and Support.
    2 Click the task for System Restore.
    3 Follow the instructions on the screen.

Restoring the Computer to an Earlier Operating State

If problems occur after you install a device driver, use Device Driver Rollback (see page 73) to resolve the
    problem. If that is unsuccessful, then use System Restore.
    1 Click the Start button, point to All Programs→ Accessories→ System Tools, and then click System
    Restore.
    2 Ensure that Restore my computer to an earlier time is selected and click Next.
    3 Click a calendar date to which you want to restore your computer.
    The Select a Restore Point screen provides a calendar that allows you to see and select restore points.
    All calendar dates with available restore points appear in boldface type.
    4 Select a restore point and click Next.
    If a calendar date has only one restore point, then that restore point is automatically selected. If two or
    more restore points are available, click the restore point that you prefer.
    5 Click Next.
    The Restoration Complete screen appears after System Restore finishes collecting data and then the
    computer restarts.
    6 After the computer restarts, click OK.
    To change the restore point, you can either repeat the steps using a different restore point, or you can
    undo the restoration.

Undoing the Last System Restore

1 Click the Start button, point to All Programs→ Accessories→ System Tools, and then click System
    Restore.
    2 Click Undo my last restoration and click Next.

Enabling System Restore

If you reinstall Windows XP with less than 200 MB of free hard-disk space available, System Restore is
    automatically disabled. To see if System Restore is enabled:
    1 Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
    2 Click Performance and Maintenance.
    3 Click System.
    4 Click the System Restore tab.
    5 Ensure that Turn off System Restore is unchecked.

Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec

Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system.
    PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer.
    Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently
    deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos,
    music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.
    To use PC Restore:
    1 Turn on the computer.
    During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.
    2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
    If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the
    computer again.
    3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
    4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
    The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.
    5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
    6 When prompted, click Yes.
    The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that
    appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the
    computer was turned on.
    7 Click Next.
    The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.
    8 After the computer restarts, click OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you did not get a XP installation CD you need to follow flavallee's instructions. But since your original hard drive failed it's questionable whether the new drive contains a Recovery partition.

However, you said that you "had a disk we ordered from Dell entitled XP Home Edition Service Pack 2." Put that in the CD drive before you power on (or restart) the machine. Then when you select it from the F12 menu you should be able to format and install. This won't be exactly factory condition, as you may be missing a driver or several and you won't have Dell's bloatware. You can get the drivers from Dell's web site, using the Service Tag to search. Sometimes there can be questions about the exact hardware you have, so I like to get the drivers while I still have the old OS working. The drivers can be stored on another computer or on removable media (USB flash drive, CD, etc.). Install the chipset drivers first, then ethernet if is is a separate download, and then the rest that are needed.

8. dachsielvr

Thank you SO much for your reply! I have printed out all that you have written and my husband and I will see what we can do. I will let you know how the story ends!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) But what we have posted is not yet the end of the story.

Regardless of which of the above methods work you will then have XP SP2. Next step is to download and install SP3. Ignore that caution that it is for professionals only. Then after SP3 it will take multiple visits to Windows Update to get up to date with the other ~150 updates.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    To add to post #9, your goal is to get Windows XP completely up-to-date and get all of the computer's devices working before you start installing a bunch of programs and extras.

----------------------------------------------------------

11. dachsielvr

Well, the story has not ended...

Windows XP is reinstalled, all drivers are reinstalled and yet working with my cable provider, I cannot get it to hook into our ISP. The laptop has WiFi.

However, I just read added posts about instailling SP3. I need to do that before I proceed. Sigh.

12. dachsielvr

When I search for SP3, computer says no results. Do I need to be up on Internet first? This is getting hopeless...

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click My Computer, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Are there any entries in the list that have a yellow ? or a yellow ! or a red X next to them?

----------------------------------------------------------

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice