1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to restore old emails/addressbooks

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GSRDPM, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSRDPM

GSRDPM Thread Starter

OK here goes...

Running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a Dell Dimension - 3.0 Gig 512MB Ram

Some time ago, I started having various problems and decided to start fresh and format the drive.

Guys at Comp USA recommneded Desktop DNA Migrator to transfer all my files/settings back to the drive after it was formatted. I backed up my various documents and data such as pictures/quicken/etc... just in case...

I ran the Desktop DNA Migrator program to save my acount settings/documents and outlook express data and it completed with three errors relating to some sample music wave files from Microsoft Office. I assumed that the problem only related to those fiels which I did not care about.

Using the XP reinstallation disk from Dell, I proceeded to format the hard drive. At the end of the long. boring blue screen of formatting prgress (at 100%) I got an eorror message that the formatting could not be completed successfully. Attempts afterwards to repeat the format resulted in an error message that the drive could no longer be read.

I purchased a new hard drive, installed it, formatted it and installed XP professional and office and some applications onto it. I then attempted to execute the DNA file that was formed off the old hard drive and now get an error message which aborts the application.

Computer associates is "working" with me on tryng to figure out why the file will not execute properly, but there support is through email. they ask questions to which I reply promptly, but their repsonses to my replies typically go unanswered for about 2 days.

ANYWAY... I have since installed all the docs and data I had backed up previously and the only thing I am still lacking are the Addressbooks and Email files and folders from the two user accounts (mine and my wife's).

I have talked to the service departments at Best Buy and Comp USA and they are not too helpful with what to do.

Best Buy states they cannot get the data off the hard drive because it has been formatted and they are "not permitted" to run a program that could restore the file directory structure. (I forget the name of the program they recommended.)

Comp USA said they could get the data restored, but suggested that it would be unlikely that even with the files recovered, that I would be able to transfer the addressbooks and email files onto the new hard drive unless I had created a back up or export file prior to the format - and I didn't...

Any ideas?

2. sekirt

sekirt

If the files are recovered and not corrupt, they can be put back into OE. I have no idea what they would charge you - is the cost worth it? Get the files and post back for someone here to help getting them into OE. If you have OE currently running, it will be more difficult than if you are just bringing back the old stuff and sticking it into OE.

sekirt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice