1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to Run Defrag

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arythael, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arythael

Arythael Thread Starter

Well, my main goal here is simply to run Disk Defragmenter, but I've run into several problems. It won't let me because it has scheduled CHKDSK to run, and it will not run on startup (which, from research, I've found could be one of a million reasons). So, I've resorted to trying to run CHKDSK from the Recovery Console. After installing and setting up the Recovery Console, I went to load it, and halfway through it came up with:

viasraid.sys could not be found.
    Press any key to restart your computer.

From there I downloaded a VIA/RAID driver package, followed the instructions to install the driver (from a floppy) using F6 while loading Recovery Console, which apparently worked, but it still came up with the same error messege saying that viasraid.sys could not be found. I'm now out of ideas, and was wondering if anybody has anything for me to try.

2. NiteRanger0

NiteRanger0

I've had problems running Windows defrag before but found a third party defrag tool (i.e. Symantec, etc) was able to run it. You might go that route if you can't Windows to run it.

3. npage2908

npage2908

What happens if you boot into safe mode and then try??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice