1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to Save As a .gif but always get .bmp

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by peterinwa, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

If I am looking at a .gif graphic on my screen with Internet Explorer and right click on it to save it to disk, the only option I get for an ending from XP is .bmp.

If I enter the whole name, for example, graphic.gif, it creates the file graphic.gif. But then if I use it in a webpage it doesn't display.

But if I name it graphic.bmp and call it into my webpage as a .bmp it works.

My question is when I do a right click and Save As using XP how do I get the option to Save As .gif?

Thanks, Peter

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

This happens sometimes when there is a corrupted file in your temporary internet files. Even if you save as gif, it still really saves as a bmp.

Close your browser, open the Control Panel, Internet Options, and delete all the temp internet files. That should do it.

3. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

Thanks so much. It totally fixed it and it's been bugging me for months!

Actually I figured out a work-around... FTPing the file elsewhere then FTPing it back.

Should have posted sooner!

Thanks again, Peter

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. It's those little things we think shouldn't bother us and try to ignore that end up sending us to the nuthouse.[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice