1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to save files off internal HDD.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misdirected, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misdirected

misdirected Thread Starter

Ok so my AIO went down. Im trying to save my files off of the hard drive. I dont have another desktop to install it in to do this. I only have my laptop. So i put the internal HD into a external HD case. When turning it on it said the HD could be corrupt. Well I wouldnt understand how. Anyway, so I tried to boot from the USB which didnt work. Said that an OS couldnt be located. I even took the HDD out of the laptop so the HDD in the USB was the only drive and still nothing. Ok So are the cases for the external HDD the same as a ide/sata adapter? Any help would be appreciated.

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy and welcome. Are you saying you are trying to boot from the original disk that was in the AIO from an external drive? If so, if it won't boot internally, ain't going to boot externally either not to mention the other issues involved booting from usb.

3. misdirected

I took the internal drive out of my AIO. I put it inside of a external drive case. When i clicked on F drive bc thats where it shows up it says it could be corrupt. Dont know how that would happen. Anyway I then tried to boot from USB instead of the HD that is currently in the system and that didnt work either. What are my other options besides buying a desktop computer and installing this drive into it that way?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't boot Windows or a drive from another system, that's perfectly normal and attempting to do so only makes the problem worse and can corrupt the file system.

Installing the drive in a desktop computer may not work either if the file system on the drive is corrupt.

When you say you "all-in-one went down', what does that mean? Is it possible that the hard drive failed or the file system is corrupt?

Also what external USB enclosure do you have? And what hard drive are you trying to put in it? It may just be a compatibility issue between the two.

5. misdirected

When I say it went down I mean the power port went out. I bought a new power port but cant get the solder to come off the old one to install the new port. So i cant fix the computer, hence I need to do something else to say the drive files.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, thank you for the detail, that helps with the problem and potentially rules out physical hard drive issues although there can still be file system issues on the drive.

What about the other questions:

7. misdirected

Oh sorry...no i cant see how the hd would be corrupt...it worked fine until i could no longer power on the system...the external encloser is a western digital 500gb sata...my internal is a 1tb...could that be the issue?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some WD and Seagate enclosures are custom and use special partitioning and formatting. Installing a different drive into them does not work. Try using an off the shelf standard USB enclosure.

9. misdirected

So something like an ide/sata adapter?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

11. misdirected

That USB cable is not compatible with my laptop. I have a windows laptop that doesnt have usb 3.0. I also have a windows 8.1 OS.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can use an USB to SATA adapter if you like, but if you plan on using the drive often or as a backup drive eventually then a USB enclosure is the better choice. As mentioned USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 and the Windows version is not relevant for a basic enclosure, they just work.

14. vembutech

vembutech Banned

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice