1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to setup new pdc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dt37210, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dt37210

dt37210 Thread Starter

for some reason i have 5 computers hooked up to a switch and they can see each other but for some reason they cant see the two servers win 2000 and win nt shouldnt they all be able to see each other if they all plug into the same dumb switch just like the other laptops see each other in the workgroup
    the two servers see each other as well but why cant the two see all the other laptops we were tryin to setup a pdc for users out here in iraq to use the interent to email home but for some reason they are not seein each other i dont believe there is a config loaded in the switch either but i can console in and check any suggestions or ideas

they all have the same ip configs as well
    first my main goal is to get the pc's to see each other
    thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Join them to the domain.

3. dt37210

dt37210 Thread Starter

hahahahahahhaa already tried that for some dumb reason they cant find te server tats why i said first of all all i wanna do is be able to get them all to see each other in the workgroup but they cant for some odd reason its not like any of the ports on the switch are confiured for anythin so thats why i cant get them to the domain of course thats the easiest solution but its not happenin wei will await some more solutions help and advice thank you

4. Popeyedice

Popeyedice

use ping command to see if they can actually see each other

5. dt37210

dt37210 Thread Starter

yesi can do a fond computer and it will find it but why when they are all set up as a workgroup can they not see each other ?

6. Popeyedice

Popeyedice

Try using the Run prompt and type: \\server (the name of your server)

7. dt37210

dt37210 Thread Starter

dont you think that that is odd that i can find them all through tthe prompt like i can ping them and i can search for them but i can see them on the network for some stange reason the //servername didnt work either sorry any new guesses i appreciate all your help

8. Popeyedice

Popeyedice

Try using the IP, ilke this \\192.168.1.1

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice