1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to Share a Printer on a WIRED Network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yammii, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yammii

Yammii Thread Starter

My friend had an Epson printer connected to his Windows XP computer and was sharing to two other computers (xp & Vista) through his network. Because this Epson printer was pretty old, he bought a new Canon printer and installed it to his main computer then installed the drivers on the other two computers. However, although the other two computers show the new printer, they are not communicating with it.

Do I have to create a new virtual printer port for USB for this printer? If so, how do I do that?

When I looked at the properties of the Epson printer on the computers before it was un-installed - the Windows XP shows connection through \\Name of Network Local Port and the Vista machine shows connection through Port USB001 virtual Printer Port for USB . I tried to use the same settings for the new Canon printer and made sure the SHARE PRINTER is active - but again, although the printer shows in the printers folder, it gives a communication error.

The main computer prints fine since it is connected through USB directly (as was the Epson).

I tried to be as clear as possible, any help that I can get would really be appreciated.

Thank you.. :)

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Yammii, On the main computer that has the printer connected, have you gone to Start > Printers & Faxes > and right-clicked the installed printer icon, and clicked the Sharing option, then tag the box to share the printer?

Then did you run the Add Printer Wizard in the other computers (same place as above) to install the available network printer?

3. Yammii

Yammii Thread Starter

Hi Surfer,

I didn't do the second part - I'm going to try that and see if it works... I'll let you know, thank you so much... =)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice