1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to transfer Reel to Reel recording to computer and need help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by senna, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. senna

senna Thread Starter

I have a reel to reel player(Akai 265AD) that I am wanting to use to transfer r2r tapes to my computer. The r2r tapes are 4-channel tapes meaning that it is 2-channels one way and two channels the other way. When I play it through my home stereo system I hear both channels played from one direction at the same time. But when I hook up the r2r player into my computer I can only here one channel per direction at a time. I have the r2r player hooked up to a Tascam device that allows you to connect to your computer thru a usb cable so that it comes in stereo and not thru your microphone.

So, I can record a track in one direction, and record a track from the other direction. But it still leaves me with having to record a track still from each direction.
    I know this sounds confusing but I am really struggling as I can't figure out how to get both tracks from both directions into my computer.
    Would I need a new sound card? If so, what would that be?

Sincerely,
    So confused and needing help.
    Senna

Attached Files:

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Does the r2r not have a headphone-OUT?

I would just use a stereo jack from the r2r to my computer's LINE-IN.

3. senna

senna Thread Starter

The r2r does have a headphone out jack on the front. I didn't think of that as I figured it would be the same as using the composite cables from the back. Do you think that would bring both channels in at the same time?? Let's say it did, any idea how I would be able to seperate the tracks as you can hear them playing over top of each other. Is there a sound program that would do that. I currently have Goldwave, Audacity and Soundbooth(though I am not sure how to use soundbooth).

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Senna

4. senna

senna Thread Starter

Well, I think my problem was trying to hook it up to a laptop. Once I hooked up to the desktop I can hear both channels and can fade one side out or the other.
    Thanks so much for all the help.
    Senna

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice