1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TRYING TO UNINSTALL ADOBE 8.0 AND OTHERS: Internal error 2753. Updater.api-NON-OPT

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pb3046, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

I am having problems uninstalling from the Add/Remove Programs. I get this error message, then fatal error. Adobe Acrobat 8.0 is showing 151 MB, and I have deleted the files manually. When I google this error code, I cannot find anywhere that this code comes up with updater.api-NON-OPT.

I had trouble removing Paper Port 9.0 before and the error message came up as msi script too old or something like that. I used the disk to repair it, but it still is not correct. I need to take it off because any disk I put in to install something, it tries to install Paper Port.

Also I put on Advanced Installer by mistake and I get the same message as Adobe above when I try to remove it.

Can anyone help? I do run Eusing registry cleaner and Ccleaner regularly.

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

In the plug_ins folder of Adobe, there is a file called "updater.api", no quotes.

Rename it to "updater.old" without the quotes, restart the system and test.

Are you running Win9x or XP?

Adobe Reader 8 doesn't support Win9x...

Zee

3. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

You can also search your system for "updater.api" and rename it.

4. MK07

MK07

I , also, am trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 8.0. Through Add/Remove Programs I receive this message: Internal Error 2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT; then fatal error during installation. The updater file is in a cabinet which doesn't allow me to change the name to (.old). I really need a version of Adobe Reader. Can anyone help me?

5. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Have you tried reinstalling on top and then uninstalling?

6. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

Actually, this is what I ended up doing. Who would have thunk? I put FoxIt Reader on. Takes up so much less space.

7. MK07

MK07

If I do this (install FoxIt), does it stand to reason that I need to use Mozilla Firefox as my IP/explorer? I do have FireFox on my PC but haven't used it because I'm so accustomed to MS/explorer. I did try installing over and that didn't work. I also found Adobe instructions to repair registry key but that didn't work either.

8. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

That has nothing to do with your problem.

9. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

I remember now, I had to use this. It is free. Google it.

10. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

No, Foxit is an alternative to Adobe Reader and works quite well.

Zee

11. MK07

MK07

I installed FoxIt Reader, tested, and it works very well. THANK YOU! I wasn't aware an alternative existed. Thanks again!!

12. callenderc

callenderc

I am having the same problem uninstalling Adobe 8. I have tried the Add/Remove Windows program along with a couple of other uninstallers. Nothing happened EXCEPT this same message: Internal error 2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT. I tried as suggested of re-installing Adobe 8, but it will not let me overwrite because another ADobe 8 is already installed.
    Please, I have searched the Internet all day and nothing seems to address this particular problem. Be assured when I get it off, it will not be put back on. I have already downloaded Foxit Reader.
    Thanks
    CC

13. callenderc

callenderc

Flooowing up on what has been said about Error2753 Updater.api_NON_OPT! I have installed Foxit as my PDF Program. This problem with Adobe has gotten really wierd. WHen I go into my Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, Adobe Reader still shows up in the list. But is has no choices of Remove/Change. It's just sitting there. It does not show up in Windows Explorer on any hard drive. MY puzzle now is in Firefox recognizing Foxit as my Default PDF Reader. I have set it as the Default but there have been times, almost entirely, that I am at a particular site and they have a PDF file I want to download,etc. Well when I attempt to try it, I get this message:

Acrobat Plugin

Could not launch Acrobat

Can anyone lead me down the lane to sanity? Please!!!

14. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Install this Firefox extension:

PDF Download 1.0.1.0

* Once PDF Download has been installed a new selection, “PDF Download - Options” will appear in your Tools Menu. Select this option.
    * On the ‘General Tab’, for Default Action, select ‘Open PDF‘
    * On the ‘PDF opening’ Tab, for the PDF File Opening, select ‘Use this viewer‘
    * Click ‘Browse’ in Windows Explorer locate the Foxit Reader (FoxitReader.exe) and click ‘OK’
    * Click ‘OK’ again to exit out of the PDF Download - Options.

Now whenever you come across a PDF File, Firefox will automatically load in the FoxIt Reader, a process which depending on your system speed with be nearly instant to a couple seconds. Note: Firefox downloads the PDF File in order to open it.

in:
    Adobe Acrobat vs Foxit Reader

Zee

15. callenderc

callenderc

I have followed up and did all you suggested. Foxit Reader works great. One small glitch - every once in a while I get hold of a PDF file and rather than open I get this little rectangular box with message: Acrobat Plugin Could not launch Acrobat

Do I have a corrupted Firefox PDF Plugin? and where would I go to re-download it?

Callenderc

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576873