1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to update vid driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shortnpretty, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortnpretty

shortnpretty Thread Starter

My computer has been acting funny since yesterday morning. I've been trying to eliminate possibilities that may be causing my monitor to click to black screen then back again. It seems to be doing it only when programs seem to be loading. I ran a HJT log and posted it in security. In the meantime I decided to update my vid driver.

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8X
    64.0 MB

I went to the manufacturer's website and saved the update on my desktop. They suggested on the website to delete the old driver from the Add/Remove program section before d/l new update. I did that, disabled my McAfee AV program and clicked on my new vid driver update .exe file. Went through the motions and it's better, but still a bit quirky. I went to my Add/Remove section and noticed there isn't an NVIDIA driver listed. :confused: Can anyone advise what I need to do next please?

Edit: I suppose I need to clarify that its listed, but no file size is there. :rolleyes:

Here is a screen shot of that..........

Attached Files:

2. winbob

winbob

Is the Monitor a CRT or an LCD?

If LCD you may have a backlight issue developing.

3. shortnpretty

Hi Winbob. Thanks for your response. I have an Hitachi CM771 CRT 19 inch type picture tube monitor. I really don't think its the monitor though, but that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about for sure. Like my "experience" label on the upper right hand side says, I know just enough to be dangerous. That would be very, very, very dangerous to be honest. :p

4. shortnpretty

Bump........:)

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

I had the same problem. It would just shut down the monitor at no specific time or for no reason. I actually had to hit the power button on my monitor in order to see it again. On mine, it turned out to be the monitor.

6. shortnpretty

But the monitor isn't shutting down, just clicking over to a black screen then back again. Its like when I first start up or softboot, when windows loads. Its been normal for it to click to a black screen as its loading, but now, after windows loads and I sign in, it does it while other programs are loading into my system tray, i.e. McAfee, mouse, zone alarm, etc. Also, everytime IE loads or when I change pages. Its weird. My main question though relates to my video card driver right now. I tried updating it and its not showing up in my Add/Remove program list. Could this mean the update I uploaded from the website corrupt? Maybe I should try uploading a new file, then reload the update.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The last entry in your screen shot says Nvidia???

This could very well be the monitor thats acting up.

8. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

I recently had a similar problem, It started after I updated my drivers to the newest available. Rolling back the drivers to the ones that came with the card eliminated the problem.

9. winbob

winbob

You have been using the term "Clicking over". Is there really an audible CLICK when the monitor goes Black, and then another CLICK when it comes back?

Is the CLICK coming from the rear of the case, or is it a static-like noise coming off of the CRT face?

I'm wondering if the H.V. is popping off due to an internal circuit breaker?

10. shortnpretty

Hi Jack....but mine started before I updated the driver. :(

Hi Winbob...........YES. Exactly what its doing. Its an audible click when the monitor goes black, and then another click when it comes back. Sometimes it does it even when I'm changing IE pages, like when I post here, click submit, and a new page enters. Its hard to tell if the audible is coming from behind or from the screen. Listening to it now, I'm guessing from inside monitor. But, that being said, I'm use to that sound because before this started, the clicking sound from the monitor was normal when I had to do a cold boot start up (which is seldom) and/or a softboot. I have an old '95' monitor. I guess I can hook it up and see if same thing happens. Been long time since I've used that monitor though. It was good when I put it up.

11. shortnpretty

If the old monitor shows signs of the same problem as this one. I'll try reloading my original video card driver next.

Thanks for the feedback y'all. :)

12. shortnpretty

Ok...........I hooked up the old 15" AcerView 34T UVGA ('95' model I think) ;) The very first model I ever owned. lol

Anyways, it does everything the other monitor was doing, except clicking to black screen. What I notice though is it blinks where the Hitachi would "click" over to a black screen and back. Right before this happens the mouse freezes for a second and sometimes the graphics will overlap, then blink. What I mean by graphics overlapping, for instance on this page, right before the mouse froze the submit reply, preview post, and spell check buttons showed up in this box (overlapping). I wonder if my graphics card is going out? I suppose that is the next thing I need to do, is replace it. :confused:

13. shortnpretty

I've got a stupid question, so it should be easy for someone to answer. :cool:

If I get a new video card, should I stick with 64MB RAM type card? In other words, if I get a GeForceMX 4000, 128 MB card, will it work on my 64MB? I'm thinking not, right? Better yet, in order to get a card with the higher MB's (128 MB or higher) do I need to add RAM? :confused: :eek:

14. shortnpretty

:eek: ok........the above post DOES show how computer illiterate I am.

After looking over my computer system information I note that I have 512MB RAM. But on boot up, my memory test shows a 64MB RAM. Is there something I need to change in my BIOS settings in order to run a vid card higher than the 64MB RAM? I'm pretty dang sure my vid card is going out. Now I'm seeing dots and dashes in the graphics. :(

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Video cards have their own memory apart from the main system memory. It doesn't matter if your video card has more or less RAM then the system, although there is no point for the video card to have more then the system.

What you may be seeing at startup is the video card memory. If you go to START -> RUN -> type DXDIAG and press ENTER it should tell you the amount of memory in the system and on the video card as well as other specs.

I might also recommend a program called Everest: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
    It will tell you everything you want to know about your computer. If you look under the Motherbaord -> Sensor section it should list some temperatures and voltages. can you list that info here?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice