Trying to upgrade power supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rzrpack

My friend is trying to upgrade the power supply on his HP Media Center m7160n, I understand he'd be better off getting a new custom PC in the long run but for now he's just looking for a stop gap solution.

The problem is the specs for that PC lists two motherboards, one ASUS and one an HP motherboard and we have no idea what this means: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00389438.

The power supply he's looking at only has one ATX motherboard connector: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler+...68522&skuId=1511293&st=power supply&cp=1&lp=5

Does this mean the power supply will not work?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd use This One ..
I have upgraded to this in my HP m7690y and HP d4996t.
Haven't upgraded my HP m7070n yet

I sort of trust HP's quality, noise level and know it's wired for HP's.

rzrpack

Yeah but he's able to get this one dirt cheap due to Best Buy gift card. I checked and it has decent reviews. He only needs 350w for the video card he has.

So if anyone knows if this PSU would work or not with this set up, any help would be appreciated

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It should .. I was looking for better specs on that one .. But couldn't find any.
Since it's from BBuy .. Couldn't you take it back if it won't fit ??

The last time I tried a generic PSU .. The wires were too long and it wasn't a pretty install .. But it worked :D

rzrpack

I think it does have a 1 year warranty, but I know BB is shady with their returns sometimes.

When the HP site lists two motherboard names, is it two different names for one motherboard or does that mean there's two motherboards?

This is what I'm referring to:

Motherboard
  • Manufacturer: Asus
  • Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
  • HP motherboard name: Limestone-GL8E

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see your MOBO

I was thinking about the possible return problem ..
I'd ask .. If they say it'll fit ... And since you can't find the Connector specs ...
If it won't work .. then it's their fault.

rzrpack

Yes it does, thanks. He's gonna go with the PSU and hope for the best.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Let me know .. So I can uncross my fingers :D

rzrpack

I don't understand, it's called a 460w power supply but on the PSU it says max power output 324w ... what does this mean?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online