Trying to use the XP fax program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

I am wanting to set my computer up so that I can send and receive faxes using XP's Fax Service.

I have read the instructions for doing this at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q306550&LN=EN-US entitled "How to enable and configure the Fax service in Windows XP".

Not surprisingly for me, I immediately find myself with a question about how to proceed.

Per the instructions, I get the Fax Console page on my screen, and I click Tools>Configure Fax and get the Fax Configuration Wizard, and click Next.

That gets me the Sender Information page, which calls for me to enter my fax number.

MY FIRST QUESTION: Is my fax number the phone number I use to go online via dialup? If not, how do I come by getting a fax number?

The next page calls for me to "Select Device for Sending or Receiving Faxes". I am provided with two options:

Standard 5600 bps Modem
Intel (R) 537EP{ V9x DF PCI Modem

MY SECOND QUESTION: Which one should I pick, and why that one?

(I don't know where this fits in the equation, but when I go to Control Panel>Printers and Faxes, I see three items: my Dell 920 printer, "CAPTURE FAX BVRP", and simply Fax. I don't know which of these three I should activate to send and receive faxes. While my Dell 920 provides a means of sending faxes via this BVRP stuff, I can't get it to work properly and so I want to see if I can send faxes using XP's fax program. I am presuming that I have a choice of using the Dell program or the XP program.)

The next page is the TSID page. I presume that I can enter my name and fax number there, and also in the next page, the SCID page.

The next page is the Routing Options page. I presume I check to use my Dell 920 printer and check to store in the default folder provided.

I wonder if someone would help me answer those questions so I can proceed with the configuration and see if I can then send and receive faxes.

Thanks, grandpaw7

grandpaw7

Thanks for your reply, Couch Master. Actually, I am using that website. It is what led me to the MS website that I noted in my reply. However, I was unable to discern the answers to my questions from the information. grandpaw7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online