"TSG Coffee and Café with Wi-Fi" #15

HOBOcs

Jim
Good Evening all... well its Sunday evening and we are getting some off that 4 letter flaky stuff.
Not much.. and nothing staying as the ground is still too warm (relatively speaking)

YM - let us know if we can help you out. This is the place for that kind of help... if you need assistance.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

staying fairly cool around here. Many of the leaves are falling. I guess I'm gonna hafta start collecting them! I bought my first leaf blower last year. Beats the helloutta raking! ;-)

Hi Folks, :)

Evening Mark, :)

My daughter had a try at downloading the driver updater but seemed to think she needed a serial number of my computer & I can't see one on it unless it's on the bottom, which is hard to reach without disturbing all the connections, so if you think it is needed I will try to look again.

Hi Jim, :)

Thanks for your offer of help also, I may well need it. ;)

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

I found this online:

How Do I Find the Serial Number on My Laptop Windows 10?
  1. On your laptop, type cmd into the Windows 10 search bar.
  2. In the command prompt, type "wmic bios get serialnumber"
  3. Press enter.
  4. Your serial number will now appear after the prompt.

HOBOcs

Jim
YM What is the driver you think you need or what's not working?
Is this a laptop or desktop. is there a model number on the case.
I assume Lenovo. As Mark indicated you can get serial info from that

Last edited:

Morning Mark, :)
Thanks for that, I'll have to check if it's the same for a desktop.

It's a desktop, personal computer 90gb - 007YAU
about 3 years old.

Lenovo - Series 310S/510S on the quick start guide booklet

On the Avast Driver Updater they name 11 out of date drivers, but my daughter paid to do some once & they kept charging without permission each year, so she won't use them again.

They are mostly Intel R -- display Audio, Dual Band Audio, HD Grphics, Management Engine Interface, Watchdog Timer Driver, Wireless Bluetooth,

then NVIDIA - Ge Force GT 730, High Definition Audio,

Realtec - PCle GbE Family Controller, USB 2.o Card Reader

I don't know if I need them all really.

Thanks for your advice. :)

HOBOcs

Jim
Hi YM - You should be OK. I'm just trying to reassure you.

Avast is just reporting out of date drivers (it finds as a courtesy) which you may or may not need.

FYI - I find any 3rd party program like Avast, AVG. CCLeaner and Kaspersky try to be helpful in identifying software, apps or drivers that need to be updated - but I prefer to ignore these courtesy notifications ... unless something is not working and you are specifically need an update. IMHO You don't have to update them.

If all is working now then you should be OK going forward. Updating could cause more unintended issues.

I prefer to use the Windows 10 "Update and Security" setting.

Use the Gear "Settings" lower left after clicking on the "4 square window (start button)"
Choose "Update and security" category..
Click "Check for updates" and/or "View Optional Updates", if any driver updates are available they will show up in the "Driver Updates" - these contain driver or firmware updates related to your specific Lenovo desktop or laptop or attached devices like monitors or mouse devices.

Click on "Driver Updates" and check all that appear.

Other: in the Window 10 "Security and Update"update beware that there may be options to download and install "Feature Updates" for a Win 10 or Win 11 update - I recommend not running these at this time, as these could take hours to install if not prepared.

Other 2: Lenovo usually has a "Support Service Update" program that if still under warranty (or not) and it will recommend updates. You might find this in the program listing under the Lenovo program grouping "Lenovo Advantage" I think - or use this link https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht003029
I still prefer not to use this unless you know you need a specific update. Use the Win 10 updates is preferred.

Hope this is helpful and provides you with some direction. If you have more questions you can DM me or better still, start a technical support thread if you need more assistance rather then clutter the "Coffee Shop"

Have a better day - Jim (I do this for a living)

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Mornin' folks.

Good evening Yvonne.

I mostly agree with Jim. Where I disagree is by having Microsoft install drivers for devices. I prefer having the system manufacturer provide drivers for devices they have installed in their products.

Also agree that it is often not necessary to update unless there is an issue.

HOBOcs

Jim
Mark's right - Prefered method of driver updates is always directly through the Manufacturer's support / driver download website. (if you need them). I just prefer the notifications provided by the Win 10 updates over any other 3rd party notification like Avast. All good here.

Thanks for all that information, much appreciated, (y)
I do get the Windowa 10 updates, but for some reason I got the idea that drivers weren't being updated as previously, I have uninsyalled Avast Driver Updater now so I don't get their messages of updates needed now.
As I'm not too savvy with all the technicalities I'll let Windows handle it for now.

I think my main problem of my computer slowing up is what my daughter has installed for her use also since working from home. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments also, all good advice for both options.

Getting back to the Coffee Shop, here's something to keep everyone going. :)

coffee.jpgChocolate%20Chip%20Cookie%20Pic_small.jpg

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

We've got a little warmup in progress here. Maybe the rain this weekend will cool things off a bit again. It'll give me a good excuse not to deal with the leaves ... ;-)

CrazyComputerMan 🎂

Robert
It's my birthday!
Hello Mark, Yvonne and Jim.

As it’s my birthday today, and week off with my work, so I thought I’d pop in Techguy to see how everyone is doing, The covid stuffs is increasing around here and I’m still limiting the activities out in public, and my girlfriend surprised me with the VR Experience, I felt nah but how long to avoid with covid stuffs, so decided to join in! Had a good face wash and hand sanitizing, Probably like this guy.

[youtube]

And during the limited activities what I want to do and avoid, I decided to amuse myself with the crafting, the first original one was pine cones, but it get better in every year with improvement, and sold 9 so far to support with local school that I have no linked with them, just thought to support them.

I hope every preparing very well for the Christmas, I’ve wrote and posted 6 Christmas and more Christmas card to be posted too. I’m still working at day centre but hope to step up to work for the IT soon.

Yvonne, I’m guessing the aussie is warm out there? Could we borrow the sun to heat in England? :D

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Good evening folks.

Mornin' Yvonne.

Happy birthday Robbie! I hope you had a good one! Enjoy your Christmas preparations ...

Hi Robbie, :)

Happy Birthday for yesterday, hope you celebrated it with your girlfriend.
Lovely craftwork creations for Christmas. (y)

It's still cool here, but expecting 33c on Monday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online