1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TSG Makes PCmag's top 100 sites

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Davey7549, Apr 22, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

2. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Of course that`s great , but a comment made in that very short description of the site hit the nail on the head with the remark ...
    !

I was chatting with a couple of members just yesterday about how the site has changed so much with all the new members posting half answers and guesses and how " random " is rampant and present in alot of tech threads as someone takes over a thread with a joke/rambling and then members see someone they know and respond to it ...and so on , and so on ....and that something has to change as the time and effort the "techie " members are giving to this site is slowly diminishing because of that exact problem. Some kind of split may be in order but how to do it is beyond me .

3. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

I have noticed that too, more people are posting (i do this ever now and then) just to posts. I do feel that the ratio of tech people and questions has been falling. we need a few more nerds around.

4. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    PC Mag flip flops around a lot. Below are 2 other reviews by PC Mag and they are like night and day.
    February 9, 2004
    By Don Willmott

Computing Help and Advice

Tech Support Guy: www.helponthe.net
    This friendly volunteer-run site exists solely to provide discussion forums to which you can run when you have a tech question that has left you completely stumped. With 75,000 members and close to one million postings (so far), it's a good bet that someone out there will be able to help you with your question. There are 13 main forums covering everything from digital photography to network security. Make sure that you find the right place to post your questions to improve your chances for getting a quick response. A recent question about a very specific feature in Photoshop got 12 responses in about five days, not a bad response considering the fact that no one is getting paid for their help. If you find a helpful expert, feel free to go back to get clarifications or to ask more questions. Some of the Q&As evolve into long discussions, and by the time they're over, the novice who asked the first question is now something of an expert in his or her own right. A site like this is a welcome alternative to the nightmare of telephone tech support that leaves you in an hour-long holding pattern.
    April 06, 2004 issue, page 78.
    By: Edward Mendelson.

"Tech Support Guy - More like a raucous, crowded bar than a one-on-one consultation, this wide-ranging site is littered with lots of replies from people who don't know anything about the subject in question. But eventually a real expert gets a word in and provides terse, accurate information. One suggestion: always look at the latest answer before plowing through the rest."

This review also contains a Pac-Man like image in the middle of the review.

I feel the 02/09/04 review is more accurate. The guy that wrote the 04/06/04 review must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Steve
    It seems all these fellows have had different experiences when they submitted their questions! I do believe that is true but one must understand that there is many people here willing to help and they may not be dead on accurate in their suggestions but nevertheless they are willing to try and help.

Dave

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Steve, I think that is the guy I banned :D :D

7. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Applaud. Anyway, I fully believe that the 1st review, 02/09/04, is a good description. Of all the Tech Sites the TSG clearly has many Valuable, Knowledgable Volunteers that keep this site free and provide accurate solutions. Thanks to all here.

Steve-x8086

8. dai

dai

i was just on the cnet forum and someone wanted to know how to get their restore points working again.
    this was one of the replies
    go to ms and redownload them

9. ~Candy~

:eek: :eek:

I recently had someone ask me how to download a sound card :eek:

10. Rockn

Rockn

I really don't care for PC Mag's rag anyway, now I know why. Was the sound card issue from 700?

11. ~Candy~

LOL, no, it was a newbie ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice