TSG System Information Utility

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
I know some users have difficulty supplying basic information about their computer. I've been working for the last few weeks with a developer to create a utility to help users provide this information when posting questions.

When posting a new thread, users are now presented with the option to download this utility. It will never be a requirement. Helpers can also link to the file to request users run it when appropriate.

I know that this program doesn't include everything -- it's not designed to. There are plenty of programs out there to collect every detail (Belarc, to name one), but I wanted something to capture just the most common and critical information to give helpers a starting point. I also didn't want users to be copying and pasting pages of information. You'll note that no personal information (like computer name) is included.

It is an extremely small file program -- less than 500 KB. It should run properly on Windows 7, Windows Vista, and even Windows XP (which actually presented some problems as some runtime libraries aren't included by default in XP).

Anyway, I'm eager to give this a shot and I'm hoping it will help make support a little easier for both the user and the volunteer. As always, I'm very open for feedback. Because this utility isn't something I can modify myself, I plan to wait until there are enough important changes to warrant a new version in order to avoid the hassle and cost that goes into the development.

Thanks!

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Very useful, is it .Net based? If you are collecting suggestions for the next version, could you consider the default Web Browser & version?

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Thanks!

Ent, we couldn't go straight .Net because Windows XP doesn't come with .Net Framework installed and I didn't want to have to deal with trying to get users to install it. :)

HOBOcs

Jim
Very useful, If you are collecting suggestions for the next version, could you consider the default Web Browser & version?
I agree adding Browser info may be usefull. Great start!!

aka Brett

Banned
where will the link to the file be located for future reference

By the way i gave it a test run..worked great on W7

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Where will the link to the file be located for future reference.
In every "start a new thread" page for starters. Or you could copy it from here.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Browser info is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind for the next version.

The download link is available as Ent described above. It was also at the end of my post at the beginning of this thread, but here it is again for easy reference:

aka Brett

Banned
Browser info is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind for the next version.

The download link is available as Ent described above. It was also at the end of my post at the beginning of this thread, but here it is again for easy reference:

If we want to send someone to the link later in case they didnt use it while starting a thread I was thinking someplace easy like such as in one of the stickies...edit one of the stickies posts and add the link in.
This thread will eventually get buried back making the link hard to find

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
OP's will see the link when they start the thread, so this is only an issue to the helpers who want to request it later. I simply keep a text file in my documents and a firefox bookmark to that file. It holds all the links that I find I regularly have to post.

Meanwhile if you don't have such a file you can get the link from this library article (which won't sink).
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links.
Or failing that, just start to post a new thread and find the link from there.

Hi Mike,

Good idea! Just a few questions follow.

I notice that it seems to be a Windows executable, so I guess that rules out it being a script. Was a script not able to access the information.

For the other OS forums like Linux/Unix or MacOS, a script approach could probably suffice.

-- Tom

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
For the other OS forums like Linux/Unix or MacOS
If that's not going to happen, is it possible to at least take the link out of incompatible forums?

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Ha! That makes a lot of sense, Ent. I'll do that now. :)

Tom, I'm not sure what kind of scripting can get that kind of information -- although I imagine it is possible in Linux (and therefore probably Mac) now that I think about it. I don't think a script could compile that information in Windows (especially the hardware information).

If someone with Linux/Mac experience wants to write a script, that'd be great! But, since we have FAR more Windows questions than other, I focused on Windows for now. :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions for the next version!

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
I was wondering about the possibility of a script too, both for Windows and for Linux.

I also wondered what would happen if you posted it in the software development forum and basically made it an Open Source TSG community project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!