1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(ttt) Turbo Tax .tax file disappears

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sparky222, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparky222

sparky222 Thread Starter

Help - where did my .tax files go. I did my tax return using Turbo Tax and now can not find my electronic files on my computer. Has anyone else had them disappear?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Are you logged into Windows as the same user? Have you done a Windows search or have you been manually looking for the files?

Rollin

3. sparky222

sparky222 Thread Starter

I have only one user on my windows machine and have done a windows search across all my drives for *.tax files and *myname* files and can only find .tax files from 2003. The 2004, and 2005 files can not be found although when I bring up TurboTax Deluxe 2005 and look under File pulldown the files I created for the 2005 tax year show up but can not be accessed. The error I get is:
    "TurboTax encountered an error when saving or loading your data file."
    "The File was not found"
    "Please select another file"
    "Error Code 117"

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I know it's a long shot but have you checked the recycle bin? You many also want to see about downloading a free file recovery program to see if the missing file can be found on your drive. Also look through any anti-virus quarantine folders just in case the file was mistakenly flagged as harmful. You did not remove and re-install the program Turbotax at any time did you?

Rollin

5. sparky222

sparky222 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, but the files are not in the Recycle Bin. Can you suggest a free file recovery program?

Thanks....

6. paulkyle

paulkyle

Recently my electronic files disappered from Turbotax for years 2006, 2005 & 2004. When i go to the 2007 transfer from prior I get files not found. error code 117. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

7. gurutech

gurutech

I just ran into the problem with this year's tax software. Same error code and all....

I don't know about anyone else, but I have my *.tax files stored on my server with a shared drive. I searched the shared drive, and found the file there. I double-clicked on it, and it automatically opened TTax and opened the file with no problems.

It sounds like a bug in the software.

8. Charles_Bukowski

Charles_Bukowski

Unless you changed the default location for where it should save the files you should look in your My Documents folder in a folder called Turbo Tax. Thats where they should be saved.

9. pwittenb

pwittenb

I had the same issue and the only thing that I could remember was moving the files to another folder after I was done with them the last time. I think that this somehow confuses Turbotax. I just moved (made a copy) of the file that I was working on and moved it back to the folder it was in previously and it opened up just fine. I'd have to play around a bit to determine why this is happening, but will not. If you've recently moved your file, move it back and give that a shot.

10. CLTC

CLTC

According to Intuit Web site, the .tax file disappears if the update feature is invoked. They claim that the file will reappear as soon as you go through the interview process again. I tried it and it doesn't work. I fear that my files are gone for good. How stupid can Intuit be!!!!!

11. pwittenb

pwittenb

I don't recall now how I tracked mine down, but it wasn't gone. You'll need to do some looking to find it, but don't give up yet. Search your directories.

Good luck

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491883