1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turbo tax installing spyware

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Chris A, Jan 6, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

I read a forum where some guy started to complain about Turbo tax installing C DILLA, on his computer along with Turbo tax. after shutting down turbo tax C Dilla keeps on running in fact every time you restart your computer it is running.

If you only check one link check the last one on my thread for Spyware info

First forum

I did a Google search and found this Forum talking about the same thing.

Went to Spyware info to find the truth. Here is what they had to say.
    This is Financial software and I do not feel too good reading about this as I have used there product for several years..

Here is the thread at Spyware info.

Check the reviews at Amazon

2. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

Found here

3. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

This died way too soon. :)

4. slipe

slipe

I agree that it died too early. It is sufficiently over my head that I couldn’t make intelligent input.

I found it interesting and I do use TurboTax. The observation that disabling the spyware would likely disable the program leaves me with no options but to find a way to revert to a new tax program or live with the spyware. Redoing things like depreciation in another program isn’t appealing. If you find a way to clear C Dilla out and leave the program functional I would be interested.

5. slipe

slipe

6. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Heck... it's over my head too, but worthy of the front page!

(they're creepin' in on us again folks... look alive)

7. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

Very good reading. I ran into a similar problem with last years (2001) TurboTax. It tried to install a different version of IE than I wanted to allow.

As for the CDilla, I have confirmed that it does not uninstall when TT is uninstalled. It does leave a folder that carries it's name (CDilla). It appears that if you delete the folder, all of CDilla is removed. However, if CDilla is deleted, Turbo Tax will not run.

Important: If you don't delete CDilla (regardless if you have deleted TT or not) other software, CD's and files you are downloading can activate CDilla and it can interfere with your computer.

Last: When Turbo Tax is installed, you must now either be OnLine to register your copy or you will have to call Intuit to get a code number to Activate your copy. It cannot be run without doing one of the above.

Thanks for posting this thread.

Steve-x8086

8. AnyKey

AnyKey

I've used Tubo Tax many times too, and this info is quite unsettling. I guess I would use it really fast and then remove it and the obnoxious spyware from the registry. Do they want us to go back to paper? I always e file and love the convenience and speed of things. This is just a shame, but thanks for posting about it Chris. We all need to watch out for each other.

9. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

I've used it for many years too. I'll be looking for a different s/w package next year! Too bad I didn't know this before I had purchased and installed the product. :mad:

Here's an interesting read

I really hate the fact that it installs without your permission or knowledge! It should be clearly stated on the package! Now if I need to reinstall for ANY reason I will have to purchase another license.

That doesn't even begin to address the solution for complete removal....
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. fpat

fpat

Before I deleted turbotacky using the add/remove function in Windows control panel, I "removed" Safe Cast Shared Components. Although add/remove reported that the program was deleted, I checked with Windows Explorer and found the file still there. I then deleted the file in Explorer, and tried to start turbotacky, but it wanted me to activate again. Finally I restored the C_dilla folder from the recycle bin and then deleted turbotacky and found that this did not delete the C-dilla folder, so that it remained doing who knows what with my computer. I then deleted the folder directly from Explorer, but how do I know that it, or something else that was installed without my knowledge, is not lurking somewhere?
    Intuit trusts no one; is it because they have shown that they are not trustworthy?

11. slipe

slipe

AnyKey might have the solution. Make a ghost of your boot drive before installing TurboTax. Do your taxes and make another ghost to store on CD in case you need to use the tax info. Restore the original ghost and the computer is clean. It takes only a few minutes to ghost or restore the boot drive if you don’t keep data, photos, MP3s etc on it. I ghost it from time to time anyway.

I still don’t much like the activation crap. TaxCut is cheap so I don’t have much to lose by trying it.

12. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

13. slipe

slipe

Chris: According to Sales Circular the retail stores have a deal where you have to buy MS Money at the same time and send in all the rebates – I think you end up with both free. Staples has the same deal – thanks for the tip.

14. frenat

frenat

The only problem with buying the Standard version of tax cut is you don't get the State program and electronic filing free after rebates then. To get those you have to go with the Deluxe version. Incidentally, Turbotax does the same thing. You have to get the Delxe version to get the free State program but the electronic filing is free with all versions

One other note, while trying to research the versions of turbotax to confirm the above statement, turbotax.com asked me if I wanted to install Gator.

15. frenat

frenat

To Slipe

I just a copy of Tax Cut Deluxe. On the package it says it can import data not only from Microsoft Money but Quicken and Turbo Tax, so switching may not be all that hard.

Also, Intuit now offers an uninstall for cdilla via an update but again if uninstalled before Turbo Tax is uninstalled then Turbo Tax stops working.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!