1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turn cable into wifi?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hardnutjoe, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hardnutjoe

Hardnutjoe Thread Starter

I live in student accommodation and the wired internet is free but you have to upgrade £30 per device (so laptop, mobile, ipad) per year for wifi.

I was wondering whether it is possible at all to purchase any hardware/software that would allow me to convert the wired connection to wifi? Bearing in mind I only have access to the jack on the wall. I'm not sure if it is even possible but it's just annoying that I have to pay per device.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ask the IT department what is allowed and what they suggest.

Until we know that information we will not and cannot help.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Terry,

I think the poster is trying to circumvent paying the 30 pound fee per device to have wireless service from the provider. This thread should be closed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071934