1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turn it off! ;)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSM Hobbes, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes Thread Starter

When go to shut the computer down or even to reboot from start button [all programs are working fine], I get the:

"Fatal exception 0D has occured @ 00C7:BFF749B3. The current application will be terminated. blah blah... Press any key to contine". :eek:

...well, you press any key, and nothing happens. All I can do is then reboot the computer via the button on the tower... which brings me back to a normal desktop, and all programs [besides a game, SMAX] work just fine.

So, how can I get this thing to turn off? Do I need to get into 'safe mode' during its reboot phase - and if so, then do what?

Secondly, what in blazes does this "00C7:BFF749B3" mean? :confused:

Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Please comment on what version of Windows you are running when posting, as it can save those trying to help a lot of time.

Microsoft have this to say about Windows 98 and ME:

Definition of Fatal Exception 0D Error Messages

Fatal exception error messages are codes that are returned by a program in the following situations:

If access to an illegal instruction has been encountered
    If invalid data or code is accessed
    If the privilege level of an operation is invalid

When any of these situations occur, the processor returns an exception to the operating system, which in turn is handled as a fatal exception error message. In many situations, the exception is non-recoverable and you must either restart or shut down the computer, depending on the severity of the error.

A Fatal Exception 0D is an error message that is most commonly found, but not limited to, out dated or damaged video display adapter drivers and out dated multimedia software; however, this error message has also been know to occur when the Hsflop.pdr file is missing or damaged.

The crystal ball suggests you are using Windows 98SE ...

3. active95

active95

Since i'm too lazy at this time , go to microsoft resource and type in the begining of that message and should get some hits.
    When it come to the error itself, either see if there is an update/patch for that program ( which cause the crash) or kill the program before shutting down.
    HTH

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

I couldn't find anything searching google.
    I tried all strings: 'All programs are working fine'?

If you get that error at bootup/shutdown, how do you know everything is fine?
    The only thing I can think of is some software is not properly shutting down and causing Windows to display that message because the software (somehow) has corrupted the OS (if it happens everytime).
    Restore (if you have XP) to a earlier state.
    Dynamic Link Libraries, regestry entries, .sys files are all vulnerable to anything on your PC and could have corrupted the system.

Double check that error you put in and repost it.
    All errors have an answer.
    It may not be definitive, but there is an answer/

5. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes Thread Starter

Thanks ya'll for the help - what this turned out to be was a corrupted .exe code of a game on the hard-drive. Downloaded patch, and now the computer turns off, turns on, and all is gooder in the world... ;)

CAPSLOCK - what I was trying to say was that all other programs, etc. on the computer immediately before I went to shut the computer down via the start button where working fine... :cool:

Again, thanks!

Oh, btw, the OS is Win 98SE.

6. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Ohh....sorry.
    I understand know.
    Glad you got it figured out!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice