1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turn Off Compact Outlook Express Folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by newdogdad, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newdogdad

newdogdad Thread Starter

For two days, at random times and when computing most anywhere within Win XP Pro (SP2) a window appears entitled Compacting. It randomly selects OE folders, and goes quickly on all except "Sent". It regularly stumbles and becomes "not responding" and I try to "end" but to no avail even when I use Task Master. Is there a way to turn off this function? I have not been able to find a way. :cool:

2. rude

rude

Open Outlook and select Tools/Options,on the Maintenance tab,uncheck Compact messages in the background

3. newdogdad

newdogdad Thread Starter

There is no such item in Outlook Express 6.0 SP2 to uncheck. Thanks for the information. Too bad I can't do that.

4. rude

rude

Sorry I don't know what to tell you.I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 without SP2 and I have that setting.Could be that SP2 removes that setting from Outlook but I really can't imagine why.Maybe someone else can check their SP2 machine and let us know

5. newdogdad

newdogdad Thread Starter

That's interesting, I never had the problem prior to installing SP2. And, it took three weeks or so to raise its ugliness after installation. Additionally, now after closing Outlook Express and the proceeding to shut down Windows, the Compacting Window appears before shut down and then everything hangs up with it (not responding).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!