1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

turn off computer but keep network on

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by whelm, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

Hi. i hav ICS setup on my computer and its kinda annoying having to always turn on 1 computer to go on the internet on the other.

And i was wondering if anyone knew a way i can put my computer into sleep mode and keep my network adapters on.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Use the "Blank" screen saver, which will display a blank black screen. Or just turn OFF the monitor!

How do you connect to the internet?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Use a router on its own power supply.

4. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

no. i have two compters and a xbox. 1 compter and the xbox connects to the internet through the other computer (the 1 with vista) with ICS .

i want to be able to put my vista computer into sleep mode but keep my network adaptors on so i can still go on the internet with the other computer and my xbox

5. Kazoku

Kazoku

Don't you use Router that splits the connection for multiple computers?

6. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

yes but i thought rather than spending antother $60 for another wireless adaptor and 100 somthin for a wirless adaptor 4 my xbox that i could just buy a pci lan card and use ICS

7. Kazoku

Kazoku

Well it depends which ever one is more efficient.
    I have a Router that splits the connection, now I am able to turn off the main computer and still use the internet on other connected devices.

I dont use wired since i already have wireless, and my consoles support wi-fi.

I really don't know what you mean by PCI Lan card and ICS, but if you THINK it's easier and costs much less, then that's a benefit.

8. davehc

First Name:
    David
    There is no way you will ever find a system that will allow you to access the Internet via a switched off computer!

9. Kazoku

Kazoku

Alright, then i dunno what your talking about =)

10. davehc

First Name:
    David
    My post was not aimed at you, Kazoku, just info for the First poster. What you are doing is normal. Point is the computer uses the router, the router does not use the computer so is independent of it. Assuming its own power supply, as I said, there is then no need for a "server" computer to be in the equation.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you use ICS then the host machine MUST be on, for the other devices to access the internet.

BUT, I do NOT understand how you are using BOTH ICS and a router?

12. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

i use a usb wireless adapter to connect my main computer to my modem/router that is in my dads office in the room opposite mine. i have two LAN ports in my main computer that connect to my Xbox and my other PC. i use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to connect my PC and Xbox to the internet.

I dont want to turn off my computer i want to change my sleep settings so it will keep the LAN ports and my wireless adapter on.

Im want to know if i can do this so i wont need to take my main computer out of sleep every time i want to go on the internet with either my Xbox or my other computer

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!