Turn off Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jbadboy930

I used to have my computer set so that it would turn off automatically. Now, I have to hold the button for 5 seconds to shut it off. How do I change it back, I can't remember?

I am using 2000 SP4. There is a power options in with the background and screen saver set-up window. Sorry I can be more help.

You might try to run a search on Google with "Windows XP Power options". I just did, alot of info in there maybe something to help you out. Good luck

The auto power off can fail if there are unreported conflicts. Instead of powering down, it hangs at the end and needs to be powered down manually (as you are doing).

On power up there are no errors or indications what is wrong. Its an issue that crops up here from time to time, with no resolution, as there is no clue whats going on.

Saj

The same thing was happening on my Win2K SP3 system. And it only started after we upgraded the motherboard, so that's where I thought my problem was. Did you upgrade any of your hardware recently?

Look at /change your ACPI settings in BIOS, they have a big influence.
Disable Hibernation in Control Panel
Do not place your computer in Stand By mode.

All the above are worth looking at.

Jbadboy930

took off hibernation, i dont place it in standby..im checking the other one...any other ideas while im at it?

Also check the power off option in the BIOS. Sometimes the setting is for when power button is used: Delay 5 sec or instant off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online