1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turn off or Keep running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kylake, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

I have always thought that it is better to leave the computer running as opposed to turning it off and on frequently. I mean if I am leaving for a week I turn it off......but otherwise it is always on.
    What are your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No proof either way but heres a small list of pros and cons to each -

Always on -
    Pros -
    Can get updates asap.
    No waiting to use the computer.
    Cons -
    Can get hit by lightening a little easier
    Constant running can cause premature failure in some components.

on then off -
    Pros -
    Saves electricity an off appliance is always better than anything even in power save mode.
    If you also unplug it then it has no chance of damage from storms.
    Cons -
    Boot time
    Have to update on your own when your using the computer.
    Some say on and off causes more ware and tear on hdd's then leaving them on 100% of the time (thats just osmething i have heard but don't 100% believe).

Really its all a matter of what you like to do. I have 8 computers in my house and I leave about 5 of them on all day long the other 3 go on and off and I see no physical difference between the 2 except for the 3 I turn on and off I have to wait for the boot and I have to deal with updates applying while I am working.

3. kylake

kylake Thread Starter

Thanks for a reply. I had always heard the the heating and cooling of the mobo was hard on the machine.......no proof to back it up....might just be disinformation.

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Turning the machine on and off frequently is definitely more stressful for it.
    There's quite a large differential in the temperature between running and non-running components in a PC, much more so than your average box of electronics.

Some manufacturers (like Western Digital) use start/stop cycles (rather than hours running) as an indicator of life expectancy.
    If you've ever had a drive fail I would almost guarantee that it was when you started your computer (or switched it off - except you wouldn't know until you switched it back on) and not while it was just running during normal operation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice