1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turn pc on, tick...tick..tick from PSU? what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Megatron_lives, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megatron_lives

Megatron_lives Thread Starter

Hi all

I was trying to install and new SATA card to my folks HP XW4600. Everthing fine then...the computer powered off!

I turned it back on and all that happens is the fans spin a little, a crackle is heard from the speaker and a ticking sound (every ~4 secs) comes from the PSU. This continues untill I unplug the desktop.

I've unplugged the fans from the PSU - no change. Unplugged the hard drives/dvd from PSU - no change.

Only after unplugging the motherboard do I get a change; the DVD and hard drive are making the noises expected as the system boots and it sounds fine - obviously, as soon as I plug the motherboard back into the PSU - it dies!

What I'd like to know is:

1) is it the PSU? - I don't think so, must be the motherboard. If so..
    2) can I just buy a motherboard for a HP xw4600, replace it and see if that's the culprit? If so, I've never replaced a motherboard before. Are there obvious problems I should be aware of?
    3) Is it something else?

thanks everyone, as always, any advice is good advice

Cheers

Mark

2. pip22

pip22

I dealt with a "ticking" PSU only last week on my son's PC. It co-incided with the PSU's fan playing stop-go, although the actual ticking came from the circuitry behind the fan. A visit to a PC parts shop and an hour later his PC was fine -- new PSU. I took the opportunity to fit a slightly more powerful PSU than the faulty one too.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the specs on that system and it shows 4 sata ports on the board. Why exactly were you installing a sata controller card?
    It is not clear from your post however the system was completely unpowered when you installed the card correct ie it was not ON or plugged in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice