1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Turned my Program Files Folder into a Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RecklessFire, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RecklessFire

RecklessFire Thread Starter

My OS of choice is Windows 2000.

Yes, you read right. I managed to turn my Program Files folder into a Recycle Bin. How did I do it, you ask? My Recycle Bin had 2 damaged files it refused to delete, so I looked around for problems like mine. I got this link ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517 ) and did what it said. However, I didn't have a recycled folder. Instead, I did a search after uncovering all hidden folders, copied the original Ini, then changed them all to read what I was told to put in a new ini file.

I did this in the Program Files folder, the System32 folder, and WinNT folder. I restarted, and found all my program icons in the tray changed to nothing. I have no back ups, and the new recycle bin reads as having all the data of the Program Files. I can't extract it, but it's there. Any idea what I should do to change it back into a file folder?

2. andyspeake

andyspeake

Can you not just go to recycle bin and on the top left click "restore all items"?

3. RecklessFire

I tried that, it just returns the deleted files to where they were. My biggest problem is that my Program Files acts and has become a Recycle Bin. It's not a matter of restoring the files, it's a matter of changing that my Program Files, when I double click it, opens the recycle bin, and has the icon as well, and I need to turn this recycle bin into a file folder.

My basic request is the ability to turn a the recycle bin into a file folder.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

4. andyspeake

andyspeake

So you haven't actually deleted program files

5. RecklessFire

Exactly. What seems to have happened is, I've changed it so that the Program Files directs to the trash can, but there are several of my programs still open and working. The thing is, it doesn't show any of the file folders behind it when I look at it, even with hidden files visible, though some of my programs work.

I can right click and "open with" just fine, any direct links, like a shortcut, will not work. So I can't use games like Guild Wars, but I can still open a picture with Internet Explorer.

6. andyspeake

andyspeake

I'm Lost At Your Problems

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you tried a system restore to a date prior to when you made the change?

8. RecklessFire

I actually had that same idea, simpswr, except the geniuses at Microsoft decided to leave System Restore out of 2000 and put it on XP and Vista, and I don't believe they ever released a System Restore for 2000.

9. RecklessFire

Fixed. Yes, I fixed it myself. If anyone else ever gets this problem with anything, here's the solution. You can use the program WinRAR to see everything in a folder, and it can see most anything as a directory if it has directories behind it. You can use WinRAR to rename or delete the desktop.ini file in the folder, and it'll go back to what it once was. My Program Files is a File Folder again.

10. The Hound

The Hound

I've seen winrar used for a lot of nefarious purposes over the years, but that might make me pay for my free trial...I wonder sometimes how the malware guys don't burn out on the volume of SOS here...then someone turns their treasure vault of application files into a 'trash can' and back with a Microsoft KB article for a different O/S and a file compression utility.

Get a tube sock, a paper clip, and a soda straw--you could be McGyver... : )

...and use a screwdriver and some peanut butter (or the thread tools at the top of the page) to mark this one solved--I think...

>>Edit: ...and just this minute, the better half asks if I ever get tired of this stuff...

11. azrael.darkangel

azrael.darkangel

i had the same problem. all my folders became a recycle bin. i do have winrar on my pc but i can't use it because all files were gone, included the winrar apps. i try making my harddisk a secondary drive and use it in another pc so that i could delete the desktop.ini using winrar. but still doesn't work. and my antivirus does not detect any virus. what do you think might be its cause?

12. myoops

myoops

OK, this time it is not MY ooppss (other than letting my own IT department touch my computer).

While on Realtor.com, I apparently picked up "DriveCleaner" (???). My AV picked it up when it occurred, but couldn't do anything with it (couldn't clean, quarantine, etc.). So, I got the latest virus pattern definition file, ran it, and nothing picked up. In the meantime, it was also picked up by our enterprise AV and I was notified. I gave my computer to our tech support and to be completely honest, have no idea what they did. Figuring it was best for them to do their job (rather than me doing it for them), I used the time to clean my desk :)

I can tell that they ran Spybot (which - mind you - did not pick anything up). They gave it back to me running the same AV check that I had already run, but running in safe mode. I happen to know that drivecleaner (at least part of it) resides in temp internet files, so I removed all entries there myself (again - after receiving back from my support team).

Now here's the dirt...
    I have w2k pro, can see the Recycle Bin icon, no words below it, if I right click, I only see "Cut", "Create Shortcut" and "Delete". No drag/drop, nothing... I tried both "Method 2" and "WorkAround" at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810869, but since I don't' know what he used to "remove" it, I can't use method 1 and, since I assist in making the system policies, I know 100% that Method 3 was not used.

I am open to using the suggested http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517, but think this is out of my comfort zone a bit, so if someone has some re-assuring words that this works, I will do it.

As far as WinRar - never heard of it until tonight. Again, totally open to it, but what I have found seems to want to be associated with files rather than recover. I am assuming that I am looking at the wrong place? Anyone with direction on this?

Any other suggestions??
    Thanks to all!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!